Technical details and privacy assessments for Smart City project
The request was partially successful.
From: Thomas Beagle
Dear Wellington City Council,
I write to you in accordance with the LGOIMA to get more information about your Smart City project and the capabilities of the systems you are using to implement it.
We are seeking to get a technical understanding of the system to enable us to be informed and comment on the implications for personal privacy and the enjoyment of civil liberties, such as freedom of expression.
In particular, please send me:
- Copies of any Privacy Impact Assessments or similar reports prepared or received in relation to this project.
- Copies of material produced to shared with the Privacy Commissioner, and any responses received from them.
- Technical descriptions of the architecture of the systems, including links to other systems owned by the council or third parties.
- Technical descriptions of the range and type of sensors used in the systems (we are mainly concerned with their capabilities).
- Information about personally identifiable information is captured (including device MAC and IMEI addresses, car registration details, photos of peoples faces, etc), how this is stored, and who it is made available to.
- Whether and how facial recognition systems are used.
- Whether and how people tracking systems are used.
- Whether and how any device or sensor that could overhear people's conversations are used.
- Any documents, plans or reports containing predictions or plans for implementing further data collection or analysis as part of the system.
I would prefer this material in electronic format.
NZ Council for Civil Liberties
PO Box 217, Carterton 5743
From: BUS: IRO
Wellington City Council
Thank you for your email, sent to the Issues Resolution Office at Wellington City Council.
This email address is monitored throughout the day, and emails are actioned on a priority basis. Where required, you will be contacted in due course.
We appreciate your patience.
Wellington City Council Issues Resolution Office.
From: Deborah Howse
Wellington City Council
Dear Mr Beagle
Thank you for your request. Please see the attached response.
Given the amount of information, I have had to provide the response in
In Sarah’s absence, please contact me if you have any further questions.