Use of video or audio surveillance for dog control purposes
The request was successful.
From: Alex Harris
Dear Wellington City Council,
Today Stuff reported that the Christchurch City Council was using audio surveillance devices for dog control purposes ("Council puts secret listening device in couple's garden after dog complaint", Stuff, 16 March 2016). I would like to request the following information under the LGOIMA:
* Whether the council uses video or audio surveillance devices for dog-control purposes;
* if so, a copy of any applicapble policy covering such surveillance. If there is no formal policy, I would like to know the evidential bar required for such surveillance to begin, who approves or can approve it, whether consent is sought from targets or affected property owners, who carries it out and the methods used.
* if video or audio surveillance is used, I would like to know the number of times each has been used in the last year, the number of occasions it was done without consent, and the number of occasions consent was sought but not granted.
I would prefer to receive an electronic response. Queries about
this request will be automatically forwarded to me by the
From: Chris Brown (WCC IRO)
Wellington City Council
Please accept my apology on behalf of the Council.
This request does not appear to have been received, at this end. We have searched the email inbox that fyi.org.nz requests arrive in and it cannot be located.
I will ask that this request be looked at now. We will be in touch in due course.
Chris Brown (WCC Issues Resolution Office)
From: FYI.org.nz Administrator
Message forwarded by FYI admin:
From: Sarah Pearson-Coats <[email address]>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2016 at 12:14
Subject: Response to Alan Harris request 16 Match 2016
To: [FYI contact email] <[FYI contact email]>
I refer to Alan Harris’s request for information posted on FYI on 16 March
2016. As noted by Chris Brown on 10 May 2016 for some reason we didn’t
receive a notification relating to this request.
Please find a letter responding to the request, and the policy referenced
in that letter attached.
I understand that the normal process is to include the FYI reference
number, but I am unable to locate this number in this case.
Principal Privacy Officer | Issues Resolution Office | Governance
Directorate | Wellington City Council
M 021 247 8684 | E [email address] | W
The information contained in this email is privileged and confidential and
intended for the addressee only.
If you are not the intended recipient, you are asked to respect that
confidentiality and not disclose, copy or make use of its contents.
If received in error you are asked to destroy this email and contact the
sender immediately. Your assistance is appreciated.
1. mailto:[email address]
2. mailto:[FYI contact email]
3. mailto:[FYI contact email]
4. mailto:[email address]