Re: Current referral system followed in Ophthalmology referrals received from GPs and Primary health care providers
This request has an unknown status. We're waiting for Renoh Chalakkal to read a recent response and update the status.
From: Renoh Chalakkal
Dear Waitemata District Health Board,
I would like to confirm that I am currently residing in New Zealand and have provided the proof for the same with my previous OIA request.
I would like to know the details about the current referral system followed by Waitemata DHB in ophthalmology referrals. I have the following questions:
1. How are the ophthalmology referrals prioritized?
2. Is there any automatic referral system in place?
3. Are there any standards or operating procedures that are followed while placing referrals from GPs/primary care providers?
4. Can private eye care providers (Specsavers/OPSM etc.) refer a patient to specialist ophthalmologists in Waitemata DHB?
5. Can a patient consult with a specialist ophthalmologist at the ED directly without an appointment ? If not can a GP immediately refer a patient to a specialist ophthalmologist at the hospital? Are there any specialist ophthalmologists available in ED 24*7?
6. What criteria are followed in prioritizing the ophthalmology referrals?
7. In 2019-2020, what is the average time taken for a GP referral for different types (serious, moderately serious, and not serious, etc.) ) priorities to get an appointment with a specialist ophthalmologist/optometrist?
8. How many specialist ophthalmologists and optometrists are practicing in Waitemata DHB separately?
9. How many registered ophthalmologists/optometrists are there in whole New Zealand?
10. Were there any steps taken by DHBs across New Zeland (or at least by Auckland DHB) to conduct the ophthalmology clinics remotely over tele platforms so that patients get necessary eye care during the different stages of lockdown in New Zealand?
Expecting a reply soon. Thanks.
From: Anna Monastra (WDHB)
Waitemata District Health Board
Thank you for your Official Information Act request, received yesterday.
Please see the attached transfer letter regarding your request.
Anna Monastra I Senior Administration Assistant
Communications I Waitematā DHB
Level 2, 15 Shea Terrace, Private Bag 93-503, North Shore 0740