Information on privacy and data for Smart Homes Project
From: Ms Dudley
Kāinga Ora ran a pilot on smart homes, and has released a tender to extend that pilot.
The pilot put sensors into Housing New Zealand homes in Palmerston North and Hutt Valley, to track temperature, carbon dioxide, and relative humidity. The pilot extension proposes to add those sensors along with measurements of power consumption and external conditions.
Please provide the following:
1. Any responses to the RFI linked above.
2. Any Privacy impact assessments for the pilot, or the extended rollout of the Smart Homes Project, or for the Smart Homes Project itself.
3. Any analysis or assessment of how this may impact housing tenant’s other benefits or housing stability.
4. Any information pertaining to plans for sharing this data with other agencies, such as plans to add this data to the Stats NZ IDI, including all communications about potential data sharing with other agencies.
5. Any information outlining how consent is obtained from residents of homes in the pilot and extended rollout for adding sensors to homes, and gathering and storing data obtained from sensors, including the consent form, and how many homes in the pilot received and returned the consent form.
6. Any information outlining potential penalties or negative outcomes imposed on people who refuse sensors, including but not limited to how this impacts improvements to their Housing New Zealand homes.
7. Any information about ownership of the data collected.
8. Any information pertaining to the sharing, use, or potential use of data from the following sensor types: temperature, humidity, CO2, light, motion detectors, power use monitors.
9. Any information pertaining to how sensors are connected to the Internet to transmit information, including whether that Internet connection is available to household tenants.
Please also explain any relevant caveats that should be kept in mind when analysing this information.
Please provide this information in an accessible, searchable format.
If any part of my request is unclear, please don't hesitate to contact me.
If any of the information that I have requested is unavailable or would be difficult to retrieve, but similar information might be readily available, I would be happy to discuss altering or refining my request.