Amount spent on cellphones by Prime Minister

Alex Harris made this Official Information request to Minister Responsible for Ministerial Services

The request was partially successful.

From: Alex Harris

Dear Minister Responsible for Ministerial Services,

On 11 June 2015 the New Zealand Herald reported that Prime Minister john Key discarded his cellphone every three months for security reasons. I would like to request the following information under the OIA:

* the total amount spent by Ministerial services per year for the past three years on replacement cellphones for the Prime Minister.

I would prefer to receive an electronic response. Queries about
this request will be automatically forwarded to me by the website.

With regards to s12 of the OIA, I am an NZ citizen and in NZ.

Yours faithfully,

Alex Harris

Link to this

From: J Key (MIN)
Minister Responsible for Ministerial Services

On behalf of the Prime Minister, Rt Hon John Key, thank you for your


Please note that although email increases the speed of delivery, it may
not be possible to provide you with the rapid response users of email may


The fact that you have taken the time to write is appreciated.  You can be
assured that your views will be noted.



Yours sincerely

The Office of the Prime Minister



Link to this

From: Sarah Boyle

Attachment 07072015103326 0001.pdf
77K Download View as HTML



Link to this

Andrew Riddell left an annotation ()

Query. The response from Wayne Eagelston is that some other government body issues cell phones to the prime minister.

Isn't he under an obligation to transfer requests to another government body if it is better able to answer a request. If not, why hasn't he?

Link to this

Oliver Lineham left an annotation ()

That's because the agency is the Parliamentary Service, which is not subject to the OIA - so he cannot formally transfer the request.

However, we do have Parliamentary Service on with caveat. They are generally very helpful. We just ask you acknowledge in your request that they are not subject to OIA.

Link to this

Things to do with this request

Minister Responsible for Ministerial Services only: