Cost of living payment

tina marie kahurangi made this Official Information request to Inland Revenue Department

The request was partially successful.

From: tina marie kahurangi

Dear Inland Revenue Department,

Release official information on which agency, administers & issues the cost of living payment and how to access this payment from Inland revenue after 1 August 2022

[Taxation cost of living payments bill 128-1]
Under the scheme, cost-of-living payments totalling $350, which is half the couple rate for the winter energy payment (WEP), will provide short-term support for low- to middle-income individuals earning up to $70,000 per annum and who are not eligible for the WEP. The payments will be made in 3 monthly instalments from 1 August 2022.

The main eligibility criteria for an individual receiving the payments are:
net income of $70,000 or less for the 2021–22 tax year;
not eligible to receive a qualifying benefit for the WEP (sole parent support, supported living payment, jobseeker support, jobseeker support student hardship, emergency benefit, emergency maintenance allowance, youth payment, young parent payment, New Zealand superannuation, or veteran’s pension) during the payment period;
aged 18 or over;
both New Zealand tax resident and present in New Zealand; and
not incarcerated.
The Inland Revenue Department will administer the payments and will determine eligibility based on the information it holds for individuals. Individuals will not need to apply for the payments.

Yours faithfully,

:tina-marie-kahurangi: house of moke

Link to this

From: Commissioners Correspondence
Inland Revenue Department



Dear Tina


Thank you for your email of 3 July 2022 requestion which agency,
administers & issues the Cost of Living Payment and how to access this
payment from Inland Revenue after 1 August 2022.


Inland Revenue is administering and issuing the Cost of Living Payment.
Inland Revenue will pay the Cost of Living Payment automatically if the
person is eligible to receive it. People eligible for the payment do not
need to apply.


Inland Revenue will need a correct bank account number for the person’s
Income tax account to make payment to people who are eligible. They can
add a bank account in their myIR accounts.


More information about the Cost of Living Payment is available through
this link [1]Cost of Living Payment (


This response fully covers your request.


Yours sincerely


Craig O'Halloran

Officer, Inland Revenue 



show quoted sections

Link to this

Things to do with this request

Inland Revenue Department only: