Citizenship processing timeline
From: Mr ED Hirsche
Dear Department of Internal Affairs,
I have been following your recent responses to OIAs on the citizenship processing time backlog. I have some very precise questions to which I would like your answer to. Please consider my questions precisely as written - but also please contact me if you require clarification or for me to amend my request before rejecting any part if it.
1. Previous responses indicated that you have hired temporary staff to reduce the size of the backlog of citizenship applications. How many temporary staff were/are hired? Over what time scale? Please can you provide a table of the number of temporary staff working on citizenship applications by month, for the last 12 months, including April 2022.
2. How many applications does a temporary staff member process per day? If you do not have this information, please provide me the total number of applications processed by temporary staff members per month, for the last 12 months, including April 2022.
3. Please release any analysis that was undertaken around the right number of temporary staff to hire. I imagine that you might have internal resource planning documents that explored the tension between increasing the number of temporary staff, processing times and cost.
4. Please provide me your planning assumptions about average processing time when the new system is fully operational and the backlog cleared. Note that, per previous reuqests that others have made, I am not interested in a 'normal' processing time, but an average. In particular, I would be interested in any documents where a decision was taken to return (or not) to the 3-5 month norm.
5. In previous OIA responses, you have indicated 'mid 2022' as when things will start getting better. Please be more specific. When in mid 2022? In addition, please release any internal analysis which has been undertaken to inform this statement. Note that I am not necessarily interested in the high level statements you have shared previously (e.g. as staff get more familiar with the system) but to see any documents or analysis you have done which has given you confidence that it will be better by mid 2022.
6.Pls release the number of applications received per month and the number approved per month, by month, for the last 12 months including April 2022. I wish to calculate the rate at which the backlog is being cleared. As an addition, and not a replacement, to the above, if you have an internal future forecast about the size of the backlog by month in graph or table form, pls share that too.
Department of Internal Affairs
Tçnâ koe Ed,
Thank you for your OIA request to the Department of Internal Affairs (included with this email)
The Department will provide its response to your request as soon as practicable and within twenty working days. The 20th working day is 25 May 2022
Please note that in cases where the Department’s response provides information that is identified to be of general public interest, the response may also be published on the Department of Internal Affairs website. If the Department publishes its response to your OIA request, all personal information, including your name and contact details, will be removed.
Michelle Reed (she/her)
Kaitohutohu Ârahi, te Ture Pârongo Ôkawa | Lead Advisor Official Correspondence
Te Urûngi | Organisational Strategy & Performance
Level 6, 45 Pipitea St | PO Box 805, Wellington 6140, New Zealand | www.dia.govt.nz