Information for the purpose of participating in the Royal Commission inquiry into the attack on Christchurch Mosques.
From: Mahrukh Sarwar
Dear New Zealand Police,
We request the following information for the purpose of participating in the Royal Commission inquiry into the attack on Christchurch Mosques.
Relevant Operative Mentions
1. Copies of Police documents, correspondences and addresses (including but not limited to emails, letters, presentations), for periods A, B, C and D, referring to any of the following terms:
a. Arab / Muslim / Islam / Islamist / Islamicist / Jihadist /
b. Terrorists / Extremists / Radical / Far-right / White supremacy
Consultations with or regarding the Muslim Community
2. Copies of PowerPoint presentations, lecture notes, workshop notes and audio-visual presentations used by presenters, for presentation to NZ Police, for periods A, B, C and D. We are also seeking the dates of such presentations, attendance list and any follow-up tasks recommended.
3. How many experts on the Muslim Community or faith have you engaged or consulted over the periods A, B, C and D?
Consultation regarding far-right extremism
4. How many experts on far-right extremism have you engaged or consulted over the periods A, B, C and D?
5. How many, and which organisation or individual(s) have provided any consultation or training or advice to the NZ Police?
6. Who is the NZ Police’s on-hand cultural advisor/negotiator/facilitator for:
a. On-going strategy
b. Emergency Situations
7. How many experts on other ethnic or religious nationalism or extremism have you engaged or consulted over the periods A, B, C and D?
8. What professional cultural advice or training or resources has the New Zealand Police requested or received on Islam or Muslims for periods A, B, C and D?
9. Do all of your staff receive comprehensive cultural intelligence and full competency training and review?
9. Were the New Zealand Police trained to deal with a shooter at a place of worship?
10. Did the police have any training in how to respond to a mass shooter at a Mosque?
11. What cultural intelligence and cultural awareness and sensitivity training and reform arose out of the consequences of the Urewera Raids?
12. What proven intelligence principles is your work based on?
13. What is the ethnic cultural composition over the periods A, B, C and D of your
a. senior management
b. senior operational staff
14. What initiatives to recruit or consult employees or contractors with varying experiences and perspectives have there been over periods A, B. C and D?
15. What diverse perspectives have been embraced and resulted in reform of organisational culture that promotes diverse experiences and perspectives over periods A, B, C and D?
16. What efforts have been made to systemically address the lack of diverse representation, experience and perspective in your organisation for periods A, B C and D
17. What initiatives were and are available to diverse employees to be able to embrace their traditional ethnic or religious identity or perspectives?
18. What initiatives have been taken to facilitate and mediate conflicting ideas, experiences and perspective?
19. What cultural intelligence and cultural awareness and sensitivity training and reform arose out of the consequences of the Ahmed Zaoui Case?
20. What cultural intelligence and cultural awareness and sensitivity training and reform arose out of the consequences of the Urewera Raids?
21. On how many occasions has there been a review of policies regarding Muslims by any persons outside the NZ Police for periods A, B, C and D?
22. How much resources were devoted to the monitoring and operations leading to the Urewera raids?
23. What has prevented more proportionate and appropriately conducted raids from being carried out against white supremacist groups?
We request information for the following time periods:
Period A: October 2017 – present
Period B: November 2008 – October 2017
Period C: December 1999 – November 2008
Period D: November 1990 – November 1999
For the requests that ask for information from Periods A, B, C and D please note we do not require that all the information come through at once.
We request in order of this priority: Period A, then B, then C and finally period D.
Word-specific requests: please include variant spellings for these. E.g. For a request pertaining to “Muslim”, please include variants such as “Moslem”.
We appreciate that our requests are extensive. However, they are not disproportionate to the significance of the matters we are engaging in with the Royal Commission.
We look forward to hearing from you soon.