Information regarding the intersection of Cuba & Ghuznee Streets
From: James Lynex
Dear Wellington City Council,
I write to you today in relation to the intersection of Cuba & Ghuznee Streets, Te Aro, and a veranda which provides protection to pedestrians from wet weather.
This veranda is attached to an adjacent building, where it features a balcony and black poles for ground support. For pedestrians crossing on the western-side of this intersection and heading in a northbound direction down Cuba Street, one veranda pole is directly placed in the crossing path of these pedestrians.
Under the Local Government Official Information and Meetings Act 1987 (LGOIMA), I would like to obtain some further understanding as to why this intersection has not yet been corrected and the safety of pedestrians continues to be jeopardised.
May I please request the below information:
1. How was this veranda authorised by Wellington City Council?
2. Was there any consideration given by Wellington City Council to existing objects near the veranda, such as traffic light poles, street lights, as well as pedestrian crossing paths?
3. When was Wellington City Council first notified of this veranda and its safety concerns to pedestrians?
4. Have corrective measures been considered to restore safety at this intersection, and if not, why not? I note that coloured materials are cellotaped to the offending pole. This is not a long term solution.
5. When will this intersection be modified to provide a safe intersection for road users, especially pedestrians who use this intersection to cross Ghuznee Street?
6. All internal correspondence in relation to this manner.
For clarity, I enclose a copy of an article from New Zealand Herald which reported this veranda's clear safety danger https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/artic...
I await your response with much anticipation.
From: BUS: Assurance
Wellington City Council
Thank you for your email dated 3 June 2019 requesting information regarding the intersection of Cuba & Ghuznee Streets.
Our team will manage your request under the Local Government Official Information and Meetings Act 1987 which requires us to respond as soon as possible, but no later than 1 July 2019.
The reference number for your request is IRO-8578.
Please contact us if you have any further questions.
Assurance Services Coordinator | Wellington City Council
| W Wellington.govt.nz | |
The information contained in this email is privileged and confidential and intended for the addressee only.
If you are not the intended recipient, you are asked to respect that confidentiality and not disclose, copy or make use of its contents.
If received in error you are asked to destroy this email and contact the sender immediately. Your assistance is appreciated.