Unlawful clamping behaviour on Council road
This request has an unknown status. We're waiting for C Fuller to read a recent response and update the status.
From: C Fuller
Dear Wellington City Council,
A section of road has been closed on Victoria Street, Wellington Central; between Willeston Street and Maning Lane. Adjacent to this, road markings indicate that a section of road has been designated as a “Waiting Zone”. A sign next to this states:
“This is NOT a Loading Zone. Any vehicles parking here will be clamped. $500 fee to remove wheel clamp. Visit LT McGuinness Site Office to remove wheel clamp.”
The Land Transport (Wheel Clamping) Amendment Act 2019 made it unlawful for a wheel clamping operator to charge more than $100 to remove a wheel clamp, unless the road is under the control of an enforcement authority.
I make the following request for information, pursuant to the Local Government Official Information and Meetings Act 1987:
1. Is the Council aware of anyone being clamped in this location?
2. Has the Wellington City Council authorised the clamping of vehicles in this location, being land that has been vested to the Council for road?
3. Has the Wellington City Council granted exclusive possession of this piece of road to anyone, and if so, what are the terms of that agreement?
4. Has the Wellington City Council authorised the $500 release clamp release fee, through the exception to the $100 limit, described at section 98D of the Land Transport Act 1998?
5. If the answer to question 4 is ‘no’, what will the Wellington City Council do in response to this unlawful activity on land that they are responsible for?
From: BUS: Assurance
Wellington City Council
Tēnā koe C Fuller
Thank you for your email dated 14/05/2022 requesting information about
wheel clamping on Victoria Street.
Our team will manage your request under the Local Government Official
Information and Meetings Act 1987 which requires us to provide a decision
as soon as possible, but no later than 13/06/2022, being 20 working days
The reference number for your request is IRC-3350.
Please contact us if you have any further questions.
The Assurance Team
Email: [email address]
Wellington City Council | W Wellington.govt.nz | Facebook|
The information contained in this email is privileged and confidential and
intended for the addressee only.
If you are not the intended recipient, you are asked to respect that
confidentiality and not disclose, copy or make use of its contents.
If received in error you are asked to destroy this email and contact the
sender immediately. Your assistance is appreciated.