Common Law Jurisdiction
Lance D. Lavery made this Official Information request to Law Commission
Law Commission did not have the information requested.
From: Lance D. Lavery
Dear Law Commission,
Under the legislated rule of society which is given the force of Law and is commonly referred to as the "Official Information Act 1982" I require the following information.
1. Is the geographical location commonly referred to as "New Zealand" a Common Law Jurisdiction?
2. Is the Government of the geographical location commonly referred to as "New Zealand" a representative system?
I look forward to your prompt and legally required response.
Thank you for your request (below). Your request does not relate to work
done by the Law Commission and therefore information held by us, but
instead relates to very general questions of the legal and political
system. For more information about the kinds of information that can be
requested under the Official Information Act, see the Ombudsman's
Below are some resources that may help to answer your questions:
· The New Zealand Legal System: Structures and Processes, 6th
edition, Ruru, J; Scott, P; Webb, D; LexisNexis, 2016.
This text should be available at or through your public library (or they
will be able to provide you with an equivalent text)
· The Electoral Commission has a very good explanation of our
system of government.
Louise Norton | Information Adviser
Law Commission, Te Aka Matua o te Ture
Phone 04 914 4843
Email [email address] OR [email address]
Level 19, 171 Featherston Street | PO Box 2590 | Wellington
Hours: Mon/Wed 9.30am – 5pm, Thu 9.30am – 1.30pm and Fri 9am – 2pm
show quoted sections
Things to do with this request
- Add an annotation (to help the requester or others)
- Download a zip file of all correspondence