Local Authority Parking Fines

Joseph made this Official Information request to Ministry of Transport

The request was successful.

From: Joseph

Dear Ministry of Transport,

Are local authorities permitted to change the infringement fee for parking offences? According to the Offences and Penalties regulations, local authorities may only change the $12-$57 overstay fine (an amount that is less)



Link to this

From: OCU
Ministry of Transport

Attachment image001.png
19K Download

Kia ora Joseph,


On behalf of Te Manatû Waka Ministry of Transport thank you for your


I have passed your query urgently on to the team who have informed me that
rather than needing to put your query through the OIA process they can
provide the following response immediately:


Penalties (e.g. infringement fees) for parking offences under clause 6.4
of the Land Transport (Road User) Rule 2004 are governed by the Land
Transport (Offences and Penalties) Regulations 1999. Schedules 1 and 1B
set the amounts that can be charged by a local authority. Local
authorities do not have the power to change the Regulation.


The Ministry of Transport – Te Manatû Waka (the Ministry) previously begun
to review all parking offences and penalties, including looking at the
current penalty amounts for committing a parking offence.


In light of the Government’s refocused priorities on the cost of living
and recovery from severe weather events, the Ministry’s review of parking
offences and penalties is on hold until later this year or early 2024.
When this work starts again, there will be further work on specific
penalty amounts for each parking offence. There will also be an
opportunity for the public to give feedback on proposed new parking


If this response is sufficient to your query, we will not process the
request via the OIA process as this would add unnecessary delay. Please
let me know if you have any further questions.


Ngâ mihi


Harry (He / Him)

Kaitohutohu - Tuhinga Ôkawa|Adviser, Official Correspondence




show quoted sections

Link to this

Things to do with this request

Ministry of Transport only: