Research and Policy regarding LGBTIQ+, Takatāpui, queer people in the District Court
From: R J Sewell
I am interested in looking at any research the Ministry has conducted regarding gender diverse and/or sexually diverse people appearing in criminal District Courts and Ministry of Justice policy regarding gender diverse and/or sexually diverse people appearing in the criminal District Courts and.
Please release the following information:
1. Has the Ministry of Justice (or any contractors on behalf of the Ministry) conducted research into gender diverse and sexually diverse (LGBTIQ+, Takatāpui, queer) people appearing in criminal District Courts? If so, please provide me with the titles of those pieces of research, and the dates they were completed.
2. Please provide me with all documents identified in relation to question 1.
3. The number cases involving gender diverse defendants currently before the criminal District Court (or the most recently available data set) compared to the total number of cases (broken down by gender identity).
4. All Ministry of Justice policies relating to gender diverse and sexually diverse (LGBTIQ+, Takatāpui, queer) people appearing in criminal District Courts.
5. All policies relating to the implementation of Te Ao Mārama including any documentation relating to Te Ao Mārama and gender diverse and sexually diverse (LGBTIQ+, Takatāpui, queer) people appearing in criminal District Courts.
6. All training documents relating to court staff interacting with gender diverse and sexually diverse (LGBTIQ+, Takatāpui, queer) people.
Please also explain any relevant caveats that should be kept in mind when analysing this information.
Please provide this information in an accessible, searchable format such as PDF.
If any part of my request is unclear, please don't hesitate to contact me.
If any of the information that I have requested is unavailable or would be difficult to retrieve, but similar information might be readily available, I would be happy to discuss altering or refining my request.
As a New Zealand citizen, I am eligible to make requests under the OIA.
Ministry of Justice
Thank you for contacting the Official Information Act request mailbox for
the Ministry of Justice. We will endeavour to acknowledge your
email within 2 working days
You can find more information about how we can help you at our Official
Information Act Requests page.
Please note that by law, when you ask for official information we have to
respond to your request as soon as reasonably practicable and no later
than 20 working days after we receive it.
Please send any non-OIA related emails through to
o[email address] and any complaints through to
2. mailto:[email address]
3. mailto:[email address]
Ministry of Justice
Kia ora Mr Sewell
We acknowledge receipt of your request regarding research and policies relating to LGBTIQ+, Takatāpui, queer people in the District Court.
This has been forwarded onto the relevant business unit to respond to.
You can expect a response by 19 August 2022.
Ministerial Relations and Services
Strategy, Governance and Finance
DDI: +64 4 918 8800