is it necessary of providing a official translation of Chinese ID for the new 2021 residence visa application?

walker wang made this Official Information request to Ministry of Business, Innovation & Employment

The request was partially successful.

From: walker wang

Dear Ministry of Business, Innovation & Employment,


Just two simple questions.
NO 1: You know, according to the application checklist of the 2021 new Residence Visa, applicants need to provide birth certificate and translating it into English if it is not. For Chinese people, the birth certificate is Chinese ID card in only Chinese that including name, date of birth and expiration date, however, these information is available in Chinese passport in both Chinese and English. So just wondering, do Chinese people need to translate their Chinese ID card for the application of the 2021 Residence Visa? Thanks.

NO 2: For partnership based on the application checklist of the 2021 new Residence Visa, my wife and my two children have been granted Work Visa, Student Visa(my daughter) and Visitor Visa(my son) based on my Post Study Open Work Visa. So, do I need to provide marriage certificate again when I apply the 2021 Residence Visa including my wife and my two kids? Thanks again.

Yours faithfully,

Gaojun wang

Link to this

Ministry of Business, Innovation & Employment

Kia Ora Walker Wang,


Thank you for contacting us.


People born in China can obtain and provide INZ a notarised birth
certificate from China.

It’s not necessary to have the original birth certificate as a Hukou (also
known as "family passport") is the source document to obtain the notarised
birth certificate.  You will need to approach your local police for a
certificate to prove your date and place of birth then approach the Notary
Public Office for a notarised birth certificate.

The only Chinese citizens who can’t provide a notarised birth certificate
are generally former Vietnam refugees.  INZ can accept a notarised
declaration from these clients

But there is no reason why you will be unable to provide us a Chinese
birth certificate.  You Chinese ID card will not be sufficient to replace
the birth certificate.


Regarding INZ requirements for translation if the supporting documents are
to in English, kindly refer to the following link to our website:




You can provide translated copies of your marriage certificate or your
children's birth certificates as evidence of the relationships with you.


I hope this is helpful.

Ngā mihi,



Immigration Contact Centre, Te whakatairanga Service Delivery

Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE)


64 (9) 914 4100

PO Box 1473, Wellington, New Zealand

On 30/11/2021 1:53 pm, Ministerial Services
"[email address]" wrote:


show quoted sections

Link to this

Things to do with this request

Ministry of Business, Innovation & Employment only: