High school enrolled international fee paying students and how to apply for refund?

M.R.M. made this Official Information request to Ministry of Education

Response to this request is long overdue. By law Ministry of Education should have responded by now (details and exceptions). You can complain to the Ombudsman.

From: M.R.M.

Dear Ministry of Education,

How do high school enrolled international fee paying students in New Zealand - who have been told by the Government to stay home during the Covid-19 lockdown periods (relative to the Waikato region in particular), and who have therefore not been allowed or able to attend school and receive the education they paid handsomely for - apply for a full refund of the learning dates they missed out on?

Yours faithfully,


Link to this

From: Enquiries National
Ministry of Education

Tēnā koe mō tō īmēra mai ki te Tāhuhu o Thank you for your email to the
te Mātauranga.  Ministry of Education. 


He urupare aunoa tēnei hei whakaatu kua This is an auto generated response
tae mai tō īmēra confirming your email has been
ki a mātou. Kaua noa e whakautu i tēnei received. Please do not respond to this
karere.  message. 


Mea ake nei ka urupare tonu atu mātou ki We will respond to your email as soon
tō īmēra.  as possible. 



Ngā mihi, nā 

Tīma Whakaui ā-Motu / Enquiries National Team  

Tāhuhu o te Mātauranga / Ministry of Education 

Mātauranga House
33 Bowen St, Wellington 


[1]education.govt.nz    |  Follow us on Twitter:
@EducationGovtNZ [2]https://twitter.com/mineducationnz 

We shape an education system that delivers equitable and excellent outcomes
He mea tārai e mātou te mātauranga kia rangatira ai, kia mana taurite ai ōna

show quoted sections

Link to this

From: Enquiries National
Ministry of Education

Attachment image001.png
3K Download

Kia ora


Thank you for your enquiry with the Ministry of Education. I understand
learning from home while in lockdown is difficult. At this stage, the need
to carefully manage our response to COVID-19 remains critical to ensuring
the health, safety, and wellbeing of all people in New Zealand.


Any schools enrolling international students will be a signatory to [1]The
Education (Pastoral Care of Tertiary and International Learners) Code of
Practice 2021. The Education Code of Practice 2021 outlines school’s
responsibilities as an education provider to ensure the wellbeing of their
international students.


If you are dissatisfied with the support you are receiving from your
school, I would recommend that you raise these concerns with your school
directly. If you would like to facilitate a refund from your school, the
first step will be to go through your school’s formal complaints process.
If you are unable to resolve your concerns with the school, you can go
through the Ministry of Education’s iStudent Complaints dispute resolution
service here: [2]https://www.istudent.org.nz/. This page is designed to
help international students resolve complaints with their education


I hope this information helps and I wish you all the best.


Ngā mihi


Enquiries National Team | Ministry of Education ^MC
[3]education.govt.nz  |  [4]Follow us on Twitter: @educationgovtnz

[5]Te TD huhu o te MD tauranga

show quoted sections

Link to this

Things to do with this request

Ministry of Education only: