Waikeria prison lockdown levels
This request has an unknown status. We're waiting for Mackenzie Valgre to read recent responses and update the status.
From: Mackenzie Valgre
Dear Department of Corrections,
I understand that Waikeria Prison was placed in level 3 lockdown conditions from 4 October 2021 to coincide with the Alert level change for northwest Waikato.
Please provide me with the following information under the Official Information Act:
1. Is Waikeria Prison included in the Alert Level 3 boundaries that came in place at 11:59pm on October 3?
2. If not, what was the rationale for moving Waikeria Prison to a level 3 lockdown?
3. How did this decision impact on the day-to-day lives of people in Corrections’ custody at Waikeria?
4. How did this decision impact on hours of unlock for people at people in Corrections’ custody at Waikeria?
5. How did this decision impact on visitation for whānau of people at people in Corrections’ custody at Waikeria?
6. What measures has Corrections taken to address the emotional and mental health toll of lockdown and lack of visitors on people in its custody at Waikeria?
Department of Corrections
Thank you for contacting the Department of Corrections; this is an
automatic reply to confirm we have received your email – please do not
reply to this e mail.
At our current Alert Levels we are focused on ensuring the safety and
wellbeing of the people we are managing, our staff, and the community – as
a result, there may be a delay in responding to your email.
If you are requesting information we are required to comply with the
Privacy Act 2020, the Official Information Act 1982 and the Victims Rights
Depending on the nature of your request you may not receive an official
response for up to 20 working days.
Be assured we will endeavour to respond to you as quickly as possible.
If you are a friend or family member of someone in prison, you can find
some useful information here.
In most cases we are required to ask the person in prison for their
permission to release their information to you. If you do not want the
person to know you are asking about them, please let us know as soon as
All media queries should be sent to [email address].
If you are a victim, you will find information about the Victim
Notification Register on our website here.
Our website, http://www.corrections.govt.nz/ provides up to date news
and information about our work, you can also follow us on Facebook and
The Ministerial Services Team
[Department of Corrections request email]
Department of Corrections
Thank you for your email of 11 October 2021 requesting information
relating to Waikeria prison lockdown levels.
Please be advised your request has been received and will be considered
under the Official Information Act 1982.
Please note that our response letter to you (with your personal details
redacted), and any enclosed documents, may be published on Corrections’
Ngā mihi | Kind regards,
Department of Corrections, Ara Poutama Aotearoa
a: National Office, Mayfair House, 44-52 The Terrace, Wellington 6011
[IMG] [IMG] [IMG] [IMG] [IMG]