Release from prison during level 4 lockdowns + vaccination numbers
From: Ti Lamusse
Dear Department of Corrections,
I am interested in learning about the Department's reponse to the COVID level four lockdowns and its vaccination efforts.
Please provide me with the following information:
1) How does release from prison differ at different COVID alert levels? Does the Department have different protocols for releasing people in its custody at alert level 4 compared to alert level 1? If so, please provide me with regulations, manuals or policy documents outlining these protocols.
2) How does the Department prepare prisoners for release during lockdowns (levels 3 and 4)?
3) Does the Department provide prisoners with information about alert level rules before they are released? If so, please provide me with the information given to prisoners in this situation.
4) Does the Department ensure that prisoners have a place to stay if they are released during lockdown? If so, please explain how the Department ensures this.
5) Does the Department ensure all prisoners have a mode of transportation to their place of accommodation on release from prison during lockdowns? If so, please explain how the Department ensures this.
6) How have lockdowns affected prisoners' access to a) counselling and other therapy, b) rehabilitative programmes, c) case management, and d) educational programs?
7) Please provide me with the total number of people released from prison per day, broken down by prison from July 1 2021, until Sept 31 2021. Please break this down further by remand or sentenced status.
7) Please provide me with the total number of people entering prison per day, broken down by prison from July 1 2021, until Sept 31 2021. Please break this down further by remand or sentenced status.
8) Please provide me with the total number of prisoners and staff vaccinated per day since the vaccination program began. If possible, please indicate the cumulative total number of prisoners and staff vaccination, as a proportion of the total prison population or workforce per day.
Please break this down by first and second doses.
Please break this down by prison and prisoners' remand or sentenced status. I would like staff numbers broken down by prison (or other worksite) as well, if possible, but I am happy with only prisoner numbers broken down by prison if staff data is not collected in that manner.
For questions 7-9, please provide me with these data in Excel spreadsheet format. Please note, the Ombudsman has stated that the OIA requires you to provide this data in the form requested by the requester.
I am happy to answer any questions if you need clarification.
Department of Corrections
Thank you for contacting the Department of Corrections; this is an
automatic reply to confirm we have received your email – please do not
reply to this e mail.
At our current Alert Levels we are focused on ensuring the safety and
wellbeing of the people we are managing, our staff, and the community – as
a result, there may be a delay in responding to your email.
If you are requesting information we are required to comply with the
Privacy Act 2020, the Official Information Act 1982 and the Victims Rights
Depending on the nature of your request you may not receive an official
response for up to 20 working days.
Be assured we will endeavour to respond to you as quickly as possible.
If you are a friend or family member of someone in prison, you can find
some useful information here.
In most cases we are required to ask the person in prison for their
permission to release their information to you. If you do not want the
person to know you are asking about them, please let us know as soon as
All media queries should be sent to [email address].
If you are a victim, you will find information about the Victim
Notification Register on our website here.
Our website, http://www.corrections.govt.nz/ provides up to date news
and information about our work, you can also follow us on Facebook and
The Ministerial Services Team
[Department of Corrections request email]
Department of Corrections
Thank you for your email of 30 September 2021 requesting information
relating to the Department's response to the COVID level four lockdowns
and its vaccination efforts.
Please be advised your request has been received and will be considered
under the Official Information Act 1982.
Please note that our response letter to you (with your personal details
redacted), and any enclosed documents, may be published on Corrections’
Ngâ mihi | Kind regards,
Department of Corrections, Ara Poutama Aotearoa
a: National Office, Mayfair House, 44-52 The Terrace, Wellington 6011
[IMG] [IMG] [IMG]