Criminal Convictions of Politicians

Ian McDonald made this Official Information request to Ministry of Justice

The request was refused by Ministry of Justice.

From: Ian McDonald

Dear Ministry of Justice,

Under the Official Information Act I would like to know the following.

1. How many politicians currently in parliament have a current criminal record.
2. Subject to (1), a list containing names and a summery of their convictions.
3. How many politicians currently in parliament have a conviction for being illegally in possession of drugs or convicted of drug use. (class A,B,C or prescription).
4. Subject to (3), a list containing names and a summery of their convictions.

Yours faithfully,

Ian McDonald

Link to this

From: correspondence, official
Ministry of Justice

Attachment image001.jpg
15K Download

Kia ora Ian


Thank you for your request under the Official Information Act 1982 for
information about criminal convictions.


While the Ministry of Justice supports the courts and tribunals in the
administration of justice, in their judicial functions the courts and
tribunals are not subject to either the Official Information Act 1982 or
the Privacy Act 1993.  This is because the courts are a separate and
independent branch of government and the OIA only binds the Executive
(i.e., government departments and agencies and Ministers).  I am therefore
refusing your request under section 18(g) of the OIA on the grounds that
the information is not held by the Ministry.


If you want information held by a court you need to apply to search the
court record under the relevant court rules.  A form to do this is on our
  Fill out the form and send it to the relevant court. The contact details
for all courts (including their email addresses) are available here:
[2]    A decision on your
application will be made by either a judge or registrar.  There may be a


Alternatively, you can make what is known as a “third party criminal
history check,” but you will need the consent of the person concerned
before the Ministry will release any information.  There is more
information about this on our website here:


You have the right under section 28(3) of the OIA to complain to the
Ombudsman if you are not satisfied with my response.  The Ombudsman may be
contacted by email at [4][email address]


Nga mihi








[5]Description: Description: Description: Antony Paltridge
Principal Adviser
Ministerial Services |
DDI: +64 4 914 3606 |
Ext 53606












show quoted sections

Link to this

Things to do with this request

Ministry of Justice only: