Gender-affirming healthcare availability
This request has an unknown status. We're waiting for Gloria Fraser to read a recent response and update the status.
From: Gloria Fraser
I am writing to request information about the gender-affirming healthcare services provided by the Whanganui District Health Board, as a follow up to a similar request I made in May 2018.
Could you please advise whether the following gender-affirming healthcare services are funded by the Whanganui District Health Board for transgender patients, and whether the services are currently available:
- Puberty blockers
- Hormone therapy
- Facial hair removal
- Breast augmentation
- Voice training
- Facial feminization surgery
Could you please also advise:
- Are transgender healthcare providers under the Whanganui District Health Board encouraged to follow Oliphant et al’s (2018) Guidelines for gender affirming healthcare for gender diverse and transgender children, young people and adults in Aotearoa New Zealand? If not, which guidelines do they follow, if any?
- Is a readiness assessment required to access gender-affirming healthcare services? (This is an assessment of readiness for treatment from a medical and psychosocial perspective, as well as whether the client understands the risks and benefits of treatment, and is sometimes referred to as a ‘mental health assessment’).
- If a readiness assessment is required to access gender-affirming healthcare services, who carries out this assessment? Is this assessment funded by the Whanganui District Health Board? Does the assessment use an informed consent model?
- What steps is the Whanganui District Health Board taking to improve healthcare provision for transgender New Zealanders?
If you require any clarification about this request, please let me know.
From: Michelle Tattersall
Whanganui District Health Board
It has come to my attention that the Whanganui District Health Board link on the FYI website was incorrect and OIA requests have not been forwarded to our OIA administrator (currently me) for actioning.
This includes your request dated 12 April 2019.
I apologise that this issue was not picked up until. The problem has been fixed.
Can you please advise if you would like to reinstate your OIA request.
[Whanganui DHB request email]