Gender-affirming healthcare availability
From: Gloria Fraser
I am writing to request information about the gender-affirming healthcare services provided by the Auckland District Health Board, as a follow up to a similar request I made in May 2018.
Could you please advise whether the following gender-affirming healthcare services are funded by the Auckland District Health Board for transgender patients, and whether the services are currently available:
- Puberty blockers
- Hormone therapy
- Facial hair removal
- Breast augmentation
- Voice training
- Facial feminization surgery
Could you please also advise:
- Are transgender healthcare providers under the Auckland District Health Board encouraged to follow Oliphant et al’s (2018) Guidelines for gender affirming healthcare for gender diverse and transgender children, young people and adults in Aotearoa New Zealand? If not, which guidelines do they follow, if any?
- Is a readiness assessment required to access gender-affirming healthcare services? (This is an assessment of readiness for treatment from a medical and psychosocial perspective, as well as whether the client understands the risks and benefits of treatment, and is sometimes referred to as a ‘mental health assessment’).
- If a readiness assessment is required to access gender-affirming healthcare services, who carries out this assessment? Is this assessment funded by the Auckland District Health Board? Does the assessment use an informed consent model?
- What steps is the Auckland District Health Board taking to improve healthcare provision for transgender New Zealanders?
If you require any clarification about this request, please let me know.
From: Warren Inkster (ADHB)
Auckland District Health Board
Re Official Information Act request - Gender affirming healthcare
I am writing to acknowledge receipt of your Official Information Act
request of 12 April 2019 for information about gender affirming healthcare
We received your request on Friday 12 April 2019 and will endeavour to
respond as soon as possible and, in any event, not later than 16 May 2019.
If we are unable to respond to your request by then, we will notify you of
an extension of that timeframe.
Corporate Business Services
( (09) 630-9943 ext 22365 Cell Phone:021 650 195 | *
Auckland District Health Board | Level 1 | Building 37 | Auckland City
Hospital | Park Road | Auckland
1. mailto:[email address]