Gender-affirming healthcare availability
This request has an unknown status. We're waiting for Gloria Fraser to read a recent response and update the status.
From: Gloria Fraser
I am writing to request information about the gender-affirming healthcare services provided by the Hutt District Health Board, as a follow up to a similar request I made in May 2018.
Could you please advise whether the following gender-affirming healthcare services are funded by the Hutt District Health Board for transgender patients, and whether the services are currently available:
- Puberty blockers
- Hormone therapy
- Facial hair removal
- Breast augmentation
- Voice training
- Facial feminization surgery
Could you please also advise:
- Are transgender healthcare providers under the Hutt District Health Board encouraged to follow Oliphant et al’s (2018) Guidelines for gender affirming healthcare for gender diverse and transgender children, young people and adults in Aotearoa New Zealand? If not, which guidelines do they follow, if any?
- Is a readiness assessment required to access gender-affirming healthcare services? (This is an assessment of readiness for treatment from a medical and psychosocial perspective, as well as whether the client understands the risks and benefits of treatment, and is sometimes referred to as a ‘mental health assessment’).
- If a readiness assessment is required to access gender-affirming healthcare services, who carries out this assessment? Is this assessment funded by the Hutt District Health Board? Does the assessment use an informed consent model?
- What steps is the Hutt District Health Board taking to improve healthcare provision for transgender New Zealanders?
If you require any clarification about this request, please let me know.
From: RES-OIArequest [HVDHB]
Hutt District Health Board
Dear Ms Fraser
Please see attached letter in relation to your Official Information Act
(OIA) request dated 12 April 2019.
The response attached may be published on our website as part of a
nationwide task to proactively publish OIA information, if this occurs
your personal information will be removed from the letter. If you do not
wish for this information to be made publically available please respond
to this email and advise your reason.
Hutt Valley District Health Board
DDI (04) 570 9488
Please consider the environment before printing this email and / or any
This email or attachment(s) may contain confidential or legally privileged information intended for the sole use of the addressee(s). Any use, redistribution, disclosure, or reproduction of this message, except as intended, is prohibited. If you received this email in error, please notify the sender and remove all copies of the message, including any attachments. Any views or opinions expressed in this email (unless otherwise stated) may not represent those of the DHB.