Insulation subsidies

Nick R made this Official Information request to Energy Efficiency and Conservation Authority

The request was successful.

From: Nick R

Dear Energy Efficiency and Conservation Authority,

I'm presently assisting my elderly parents to improve the warmth of their home, and to reduce the negative effects of cold and damp.

Can you please advise if there is any assistance (financial or otherwise) available to residential home-owners looking to purchase or install under-floor or ceiling insulation - particularly for holders of community service cards and senior citizen cards.

Yours faithfully,

Nick R

Link to this

From: info
Energy Efficiency and Conservation Authority

Good Morning Nick,

Thank you for your email.

The Government announced low-income home owners as well as landlords of low-income tenants, will now be eligible for insulation grants through the Warm Up New Zealand Programme.

The programme aims to provide 50% of the cost of ceiling and floor insulation to landlords of low-income tenants as well as low-income homeowners. This ends on the 30th June 2018.

In order to be eligible, the house must be built before the year 2000, and the homeowner or named tenant must have a Community Services Card, or SuperGold Card with a Community Services Card endorsement. The programme may also accept health referrals from households and tenants just above the Community Services threshold if they have respiratory health needs related to cold, damp housing.

In order to apply, please get in touch with a service provider in your area. You can find them on our website:

Please be aware that funding is limited, and projects may not cover all regions or all areas within a region. Please check with the listed service providers to find out if they are operating in your area.

If you are not eligible, there are other options available.

Some of the Service Providers contracted through the programme offer a discount if you are not eligible for the programme. You can find a list of these Providers here. (

There are additional offers for SuperGold Card holders. You can find these on their website ( or (

Alternatively, some local councils and New Zealand banks offer payment options to help with the cost of installing insulation and heating. I recommend contacting your council to see if there is anything available in your area.

I would also recommend checking out our Energywise website, as there is lots of helpful information on creating a warmer, drier, more energy efficient home: (

I hope you find this useful,

Kind regards,

Arapeta Chase
Information and Administration Services
Energy Efficiency and Conservation Authority (EECA) Te Tari Tiaki Pūngao | |

Level 8, 44 The Terrace, Wellington 6011, PO Box 388, Wellington 6140
Phone: +64 4 470 2200 | DDI: +64 4 470 2249 | Fax: +64 4 499 5330

show quoted sections

Link to this

Things to do with this request

Energy Efficiency and Conservation Authority only: