Convictions of specific offences by a specific Judicial Officer

S. McLachlan made this Official Information request to Ministry of Justice

Ministry of Justice did not have the information requested.

From: S. McLachlan

Dear Ministry of Justice,

Please provide a list of court cases, that have proceeded to defended hearings, for the offences of:
Sustained Loss of Traction
Unnecessary Exhibition of Speed or Acceleration
Operating a Vehicle in an Unauthorised Street Race

which have been heard by Judge Raoul Neave, since the introduction of the amendment to the Land Transport Act 1998, which introduced these offences, or as far back as practicable.

Alternatively, please provide a summary of the numbers of these offences, for which Judge Neave has convicted the defendant, in comparison to those for which he has acquitted the defendant.

Yours faithfully,
Mr S. McLachlan

Link to this

From: correspondence, official
Ministry of Justice

Attachment image001.jpg
15K Download

Good afternoon Mr McLachlan,


Thank you for email.

The information you have requested is court information and is not subject
to the Official Information Act 1982, as per section 2(6) of the Act. This
is because the Courts and judiciary are not part of the Ministry and are
independent of the executive branch of the government.

For the purposes of the Act, I am refusing your request for information
under section 18(g) on the basis that this information is not held by the
Ministry (because it is court information).  You have the right to seek a
review of my decision by the Ombudsman under section 28(3) of the Act. 
The Ombudsman can be contacted at this website:

You must apply directly to the relevant court for access to court
information. This may attract a fee. Please note that access to court
information is governed by specific search rules and the inherent
authority of the courts to regulate access to the information under its

Your request will be considered by either the Registrar or, if necessary,
a Judge. Any decision relating to the release of court information is a
judicial decision. The Ministry of Justice cannot intervene or comment on
this decision-making process.

Court contact details can be found at the following link:
[2] OR

The form to make a court record search can be found on our website here:


Please contact us if you have questions or need any further assistance.


Kind regards,



[4] Alex Pickard
Advisor |
Ministry of
Justice | Tāhū
o te Ture


show quoted sections

Link to this

Things to do with this request

Ministry of Justice only: