Getting new passport overseas while waiting for Permanent Resident Visa

Junlong made this Official Information request to Ministry of Business, Innovation & Employment

The request was successful.

From: Junlong

Dear Ministry of Business, Innovation & Employment,

After getting the Variation of Travel Conditions to extend the current Resident Visa, and submitting the application for the Permanent Resident Visa, if the applicant goes back to their home country and get a new passport there, how should they transfer their current Resident Visa(e-visa) to the new passport, and update the information for the Permanent Resident Visa application, before they come back to NZ?

Yours faithfully,

Link to this

From: ICC - No Reply
Ministry of Business, Innovation & Employment

Kia ora Jun,


Your enquiry has been referred to the Immigration Contact Centre (ICC) for
a response.


We are able to provide general information on this occasion.


A Permanent Resident Visa (PRV) application can only be submitted on paper
currently hence there is no option available to update the information
online while the application is in process. If the applicant departs New
Zealand with expired travel conditions while the PRV application is in
process, their resident visa expires on the day they leave New Zealand. In
order to return, they must wait for the PRV application process to be
completed and approved.


While overseas, if the applicant obtains a new passport during the
processing of the PRV application, they must submit their original or
certified copy of the new passport to their closest Visa Application
Centre (VAC) along with the passport handling fee (if applicable). It is
recommended that you contact the ICC as well so we can notify the
processing office of this change. Information on VACs can be found at
[1]Offices outside New Zealand | Immigration New Zealand


If the travel conditions are valid and the applicant wishes to return to
New Zealand on their new passport while their PRV application is in
process, they must apply for a visa transfer. Once approved, their current
visa will be linked to the new passport. Information on visa transfers is
available at [2]Transferring my visa to a new passport | Immigration New


If you require further assistance, please email us at
[3][email address] from your personal email address
and include your full name, date of birth, passport number and client
number (if known).


Ngā mihi,




Immigration Contact Centre | Te Whakatairanga - Service Delivery

Ministry of Business, Innovation & Employment (MBIE)

+64 (9) 914 4100

PO Box 1473, Wellington 6140, New Zealand


show quoted sections

Link to this

Things to do with this request

Ministry of Business, Innovation & Employment only: