Cancelation of reparation from John Sinclair

Barry Murphy made this Official Information request to Ministry of Justice

Response to this request is long overdue. By law Ministry of Justice should have responded by now (details and exceptions). The requester can complain to the Ombudsman.

From: Barry Murphy

Dear Ministry of Justice,

On the 21st December 2021 I received a letter that Judge Jelas had initiated a cancellation of John Sinclair reparation to me. I responded on 1st Jan 2022 and again on 24th September 2022 and am still yet to receive any response.

1./ Was the reparation cancelled?
2./ Was the judge aware of his recent offending where he has now been sentenced to Home Detention.
3./ How much reparation has he been ordered to pay
4./ How much reparation was cancelled
5./ Where does John Sinclairs reparation sit in a table of worst offenders and debt, i.e. 7th highest debt in the country.

Yours faithfully,


Link to this

Ministry of Justice

Thank you for contacting the Official Information Act request mailbox for
the Ministry of Justice. We will endeavour to acknowledge your
email within 2 working days

You can find more information about how we can help you at our [1]Official
Information Act Requests page.

Please note that by law, when you ask for official information we have to
respond to your request as soon as reasonably practicable and no later
than 20 working days after we receive it. 

Please send any non-OIA related emails through to
o[2][email address] and any complaints through to
[3][email address]


Visible links
2. mailto:[email address]
3. mailto:[email address]

Link to this

Ministry of Justice

Attachment image001.jpg
15K Download

Kia ora Barry,


Thank you for emailing the Ministry of Justice. The information you are
requesting is a court record and not held by the Ministry of Justice.


Information held by the courts, sentencing notes, court records,
transcriptions or information about a case currently before the court are
the records of courts and tribunals and are not subject to the Official
Information Act 1982. Access to these is dealt with by separate
legislation and court rules and you will need to contact the relevant
court directly, the details for the courts can be found here


You do not have to request information in person from the courts. You can
do so by contacting them and filling out an application. This can be done
via email or by post.


Here is a link to the form you will need to complete


Ngā mihi,



Ministerial Relations and Services

Strategy, Governance and Finance
DDI: +64 4 918 8800



show quoted sections

Link to this

Things to do with this request

Ministry of Justice only: