Brothel operator certificate

John made this Official Information request to Ministry of Justice

The request was successful.

From: John

Dear Ministry of Justice,

I would like to request information and clarification about the BROTHEL OPERATOR CERTIFICATION.

1.In your website (, under "People who need a brothel operator certificate", it states that "To be given an operator's certificate, you must be:
over the age of 18, anda New Zealand or Australian citizen, or have permanent residency for New Zealand or Australia."

However, under the Section 19(4) of the Prostitution Reform Act 2003, it states "Any conditions of a resident visa are deemed not to have been met and the resident is liable for deportation under section 159 of the Immigration Act 2009 if the Minister of Immigration or an immigration officer determines that the holder of a resident visa acts as an operator of, or invests in, a New Zealand business of prostitution."

Could you please clarifiy whether the information on your website is conflicting with the Prostitution Reform Act 2003? and please clarify who can apply the operator's certificate?

2. Since the enforcement of the Prostitution Reform Act 2003, how many people with permanent residency for New Zealand or Australia, or Australian citizenship have successfully applied for the operator's certificate?

Yours faithfully,


Link to this

Ministry of Justice

Thank you for contacting the Ministry of Justice [1][Ministry of Justice request email]
mailbox.  You can expect to hear from us within two business days of your
email being received.


The Ministry of Justice holds a wide range of information that we can
provide to you.  If you would like to see more about how we can help you
please see our [2]Official Information Act Requests page.


Please note that the Ministry of Justice can't give legal advice. For
legal advice, you should contact a lawyer, Community Law or Citizens’
Advice Bureau.


If you are requesting information held by the courts, such as sentencing
notes, court records or information about a case currently before the
court, the records of courts and tribunals are not subject to the Official
Information Act 1982. Access to these is subject to separate legislation
and [3]court rules and you will need to contact the relevant court
directly. The details for the courts can be found [4]here.


For information held by other agencies, such as the New Zealand Police,
check out the [5]Directory of Official Information to find out what
information each agency holds and their contact details.

Ngā mihi

Ministerial Relations and Services

show quoted sections


Visible links
1. mailto:[email address]

Link to this

From: Media
Ministry of Justice

Attachment image001.jpg
15K Download

Attachment 84301 John response sent.pdf
424K Download View as HTML

Dear John,


Please find the response to your OIA dated 28 October 2020 attached.


Nāku, nā Alison


Alison Grant (she/her)

Media Advisor | Communications Services
Ministry of Justice | Tāhū o te Ture

DDI: +64 4 466 5058 | Ext 65058
M: 027 290 2119
[1][email address] | [2]



show quoted sections


Visible links
1. mailto:[email address]

Link to this

Things to do with this request

Ministry of Justice only: