Complaints about police handling of sexual assault complaints

K Gillies made this Official Information request to Independent Police Conduct Authority

The request was refused by Independent Police Conduct Authority.

From: K Gillies

Dear Independent Police Conduct Authority,

I request information for the past 10 years of the number of complaints about police handling of unlawful sexual connection and rape complaints.

I ask that that these numbers by categorised both by year and further categorised by police district.

I also ask that this information be broken down into what kind of complaint is being made to the IPCA, be it Police misconduct, neglect of duty, Police practices, policies or procedures.

While I do not expect any identifying details to be present in this information, should there be I ask that you redact identifying details and still release the information.

I request this information urgently and as a matter of public interest. For police to be publically accountable, the public must know the extent and frequency to which sexual assault related cases are handled in a way that would provoke a formal complaint. I ask that you release this information as soon as practicably possible and no later.

Yours faithfully,

K Gillies

Link to this

Independent Police Conduct Authority

Dear K Gillies,

Thank you for your email requesting information on complaints about Police handling of unlawful sexual connection and rape complaints.

We are sorry but we are unable to assist with your request for information because the Authority does not collate general statistical data.

We are also not listed as an 'organisation', within the Ombudsmen Act 1975 or the Official Information Act 1982, to which the provisions of Official Information Act apply.

The Police do collate and publish information on Police professional conduct issues and you can find this information here:

If you would like to receive more information on this subject, you may make an Official Information Act request to Police. Details of how to do this, can be found on the Police website at:

Kind regards

Case Resolution Team

show quoted sections

Link to this

Things to do with this request

Independent Police Conduct Authority only: