Historical dataset specifying the number of people claiming benefits

Tamsyn made this Official Information request to Ministry of Social Development

Response to this request is long overdue. By law Ministry of Social Development should have responded by now (details and exceptions). The requester can complain to the Ombudsman.

From: Tamsyn

Dear Ministry of Social Development,

Due to the recent change in the way the ethnicity is reported by the MSD, the data we received via OIA request on the 24th of November 2021 is no longer comparable with historic datasets received to date.

As such, please could you provide a data set specifying the number of people claiming the following types of benefits, quarterly, by 2017 Area Unit Boundary:
- Job Seeker Support (JS Related)
- Sole Parent Support (SPS Related)
- Supported Living Payment (SLP Related)
- Other benefits
for the period Sep 2013 to Dec 2021.

We understand that benefit claimant figures lower than 5 will be suppressed as per the criteria of section 9(2)(a) of the Official Information Act and stipulations of the Privacy Act 1993.

This request is a follow on request from previous jobs, such as IMSD-5348. The format of the data required is exactly the same as provided under this job number, but for the full period specified above following the new ethnicity reporting. As per our previous arrangements we understand that a charge will be associated to the provision of the data. Please feel free to contact either myself or Dr Paul Bracewell if you require any further information about our request.

Yours faithfully,
Dr Tamsyn Hilder

Link to this

From: OIA_Requests (MSD)
Ministry of Social Development

Tēnā koe Dr Tamsyn Hilder,


Thank you for your email received 11 February 2022, under the Official
Information Act 1982. Your request has been forwarded to the appropriate
officials at National Office to respond. 


Ngā manaakitanga,


Official and Parliamentary Information Team | Ministerial and Executive

Ministry of Social Development


Our Purpose:
We help New Zealanders to help themselves to be safe, strong and
Ko ta mātou he whakamana tangata kia tū haumaru, kia tū kaha, kia tū



show quoted sections

Link to this

From: OIA_Requests (MSD)
Ministry of Social Development


Dear Tamsyn Hilder

We refer to your below request made to the Ministry of Social Development
(the Ministry) under the Official Information Act 1982 (the Act).

This letter is to advise you that the Ministry requires more time to
respond to this request. In accordance with section 15(1) and 15A of the
Act, the Ministry’s decision will be with you no later than 6 April 2022.

The reason for the extension is that your request is for a large quantity
of information and it will take longer than the 20 working-day time limit
to collate the material you have requested and assess whether any interest
might be prejudiced by its release.

We will respond to you sooner if we are able to.

Before the Ministry can respond, please note that your request is subject
to a charge of 10 working hours. Please advise if you would like the
Ministry to proceed. Should we not hear from you, we will close your

Please also provide a non-public email address that the Ministry can use
to provide you with the information. You may be aware the all responses to
FYI.org.nz will be published there.

You have the right to seek an investigation and review by the Ombudsman of
this decision. Information about how to make a complaint is available at
[1]www.ombudsman.parliament.nz or 0800 802 602.

If you wish to discuss any aspect of your request with us, including this
decision, please feel free to contact [2][MSD request email]. 

Kind regards

Official and Parliamentary Information team | Ministerial and Executive

Ministry of Social Development

Our purpose:
We help New Zealanders to be safe, strong and independent.
Manaaki Tangata, Manaaki Whânau.



show quoted sections

Link to this

From: Tamsyn

Dear OIA_Requests (MSD),

Thank you for your response, I would like to proceed with the request. My email address is [email address].

Please let me know if you require anything else.

Yours sincerely,


Link to this

Things to do with this request

Ministry of Social Development only: