Access to DoC Estate Using Motorised Mountain Bikes
From: Brian Warburton
Dear Department of Conservation,
As far as I can determine the Department of Conservation has adopted a policy of allowing unmotorised mountain bikes on some of its tracks but prohibiting motorised mountain bikes on those same tracks.
On the face of it this appears to be discriminatory and then subject to section 21 of the Human Rights Act 1993.
I’ve not been able to access any relevant and clear information on DoC website.
So, can you please provide me with the following information:
1. How many locations within the ‘conservation estate’ are recorded by DoC has having ‘booking huts’ and/or ‘bookable camp-sites’.
2. Of those locations recorded by DoC has having ‘booking huts’ and/or ‘bookable campsites’, which (and how many) are lawfully accessible by using a ‘mountain bike’ that is not fitted with an electric motor.
3. Of those locations recorded by DoC has having ‘booking huts’ and/or ‘bookable campsites’, which (and how many) are lawfully accessible by using a ‘mountain bike with electric motor’.
4. If the number of locations in (2) is different from the number in (3), what is the reason for this discrepancy.
5. If the number of locations in (2) is more than the number in (3), does DoC believe this could be construed as being discriminatory against person who (for physical reasons) are unable to access certain locations without using a motorised mountain bike.
6. If the answer to (5) is no, please provide an explanation why the DoC holds this view.
Department of Conservation
Kia ora Brian
Thank you for your official information request to the Department of
Your reference number is OIAD-833.
We will endeavour to respond to your request as soon as possible and no
later than 25/05/2021, being 20 working days after the day your request
was received. If we are unable to respond to your request by then, we will
notify you of an extension of that timeframe.
If you have any queries email us at [email address].
Department of Conservation
Te Papa Atawhai
Privacy: Your details have been recorded in DOC's workflow system and will
be used to provide you with a response to, and communicate with you about,
your request. Records are retained, used and disposed of in accordance
with the Privacy Act 1993 and the Public Records Act 2005. See our
privacy statements for more information about how DOC manages personal
Caution - This message and accompanying data may contain information that
is confidential or subject to legal privilege. If you are not the intended
recipient you are notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or
copying of this message or data is prohibited. If you received this email
in error, please notify us immediately and erase all copies of the message
and attachments. We apologise for the inconvenience. Thank you.
1. mailto:[email address]