Gifts to medical staff from pharmaceutical companies
The request was successful.
From: N Vaughan
Dear Waikato District Health Board,
I am a law student and am writing a research paper on gifts given by pharmaceutical companies to medical staff.
I am therefore requesting the following information under the Official Information Act (OIA):
1. Do you keep a central gift register, which records details about what gifts medical staff receive, who they are from, and the gift's value? If not, why not?
2. How many staff in your DHB have accepted gifts (of any form) from pharmaceutical companies? Information from the past 2-year period is preferred, including what these gifts were, and their monetary value.
3. Is there any policy in place that prevents medical staff from accepting some gifts from pharmaceutical companies? If so, please send a copy of this policy.
In relation to disclosure of these gifts (from pharmaceutical companies):
4. When must medical staff disclose these gifts to the hospital or DHB? If there is a related policy, please send a copy.
5. Are medical staff required to disclose these gifts to their patients? If there is a related policy, please send a copy.
If you need any more information from me please let me know as soon as possible.
I understand that a decision on a request for information under the OIA should be made within 20 working days of receiving that request.
Ngā mihi nui
From: Kylie Lewis
Waikato District Health Board
Please find attached the response from Waikato DHB in relation to you OIA
Personal Assistant to:
Mark Cawthorne – Executive Director Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain
Mike Foley – Executive Director Digital Enablement
Neville Hablous – Company Secretary
P 07 839 8899 ext 97572 | m 021 228 9213 | e
Level 3, Hockin Building, Waikato Hospital Campus | Private Bag 3200,
Waikato DHB vision: Healthy People. Excellent Care
Our values: People at heart - Te iwi ngakaunui | Give and earn respect -
Whakamana | Listen to me talk to me - Whakarongo
| Fair play - Mauri Pai | Growing the good – Whakapakari | Stronger
together – Kotahitanga
This electronic message, together with any attachments is confidential and
may be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient: 1.do not copy,
disclose or use the contents in any way. 2.please let me know by return
email immediately and then destroy the message. Waikato DHB is not
responsible for any changes made to this message and/or any attachments
after sending by Waikato DHB. Before opening or using attachments, check
them for viruses and effects. Waikato DHB takes no responsibility for
affected attachments. Click on link www.waikatodhb.health.nz/disclaimer to
view the company policy website. If you are not redirected to the company
policy website then copy and paste the URL into a new browser window.
1. mailto:[email address]