MBChB Application Processing
From: K Roe
Dear University of Otago,
1) Can any student submit an application for MBChB to the Medical Admissions Committee for consideration -- or does the student need to ask permission in order to apply. I am thinking, particularly, of 'Alternative' Category applications where there is a 1-2 month window in which the University may or may not authorise applications by the student.
2) Does Peter Crampton have the authority to prevent a submitted application from being presented to the Medical Admissions Committee (during such time as the Medical Admissions Committee is in meeting)?
3) Does Brian Hyland have the authority to prevent a submitted application from being presented to the Medical Admissions Commitee (during such time as the Medical Admissions Commitee is in meeting)?
3) Does Andrea Howard have the authority to prevent a submitted application from being presented to the Medical Admissions Commitee (during such time as the Medical Admissions Committe is in meeting)?
A person in New Zealand,
From: Manager Policy and Compliance
University of Otago
Dear Ms Roe,
Please find attached, information in response to your Official Information
Act 1982 request dated 21 July 2019 regarding MB ChB Application
Claire Gallop • Manager, Policy and Compliance, Office of the Registrar •
Deputy Privacy Officer • Te Whare Wânanga o Ôtâkou, University of Otago •
P.O Box 56, Dunedin • Tel +64 3 479 8993
From: K Roe
Dear Manager Policy and Compliance,
Thankyou for your considered response.
1) If any student can submit an application for MBChB to the University of Waikato without permission then:
1a) How many people (2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019) informed Admissions that `Alternative Category' was not appearing as an application in their EVision during the finite window? How many of those people went on to successfully submit `Alternative Category' application?
2-4) I am to understand that it is not the job of the Medical Admissions Committee to select which candidates are eligable or qualified, rather, a few individuals engage in a pre-screening process. Please can you inform New Zealanders what proportion of `Alternative Category' applicants are culled via pre-screening (2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019).
Thank you for informing New Zealanders that they have the right to request information as to why their application was deemed unsuccessful under the Official Information Act.
Otago might like to update their website which falsely states:
`The Medical Admission Commmittee will not enter into any correspondance regarding application outcome or interview'.
A Person in New Zealand
From: K Roe
I *chose* to clarify this request (updated for FYI.org.nz)