University of Canterbury Budget and Financial Reports
Joshua Grainger made this Official Information request to University of Canterbury
The request was partially successful.
From: Joshua Grainger
Dear University of Canterbury,
I would like to request under the Official Information Act some various information about the financial state of the University. I would like to request:
1) A copy of the Universty's budget for the current financial year.
2) A copy of the Universty's budget and actuals for the last financal year.
3) If it is not revealed in the answer to (1), how much the University is spending on communications, advertising and marketting in the current financal period.
4) If it is not revealed in the answer to (1), how much the University is spending on Human Resources in the current financial period.
5) How much the University stands to save by cutting 50 staff each year for the next three years (as reported in 'Massive Job Cuts at Canterbury Universities' on the Stuff Website, 01/08/12)
6) Any expected costs that the University will face in executing these staff cuts, such as in redundancy payouts.
7) My understanding is that there is a PricewaterhouseCoopers report that analyses the financial state of the University (this maybe just limited to the financal impact of proposed cuts to several courses). I would like to request a copy of this report.
8) Finally, I would like to request the ratio of staff per department by EFTS students enrolled in those courses. It has been suggested that some of the departments facing cuts already face high ratios of staff to students, and I would like to see if this is true.
I realize that this is quite a big request covering a variety of areas. I am happy to wait for a response if an extention is required, or I am happy to clarify my request if anything is unclear.
Although it is not required, I understand it can sometimes be helpful under the Official Information Act to spell out the purpose for a request. I am a student at UC, and I am interested in some of the thinking and reasons behind the proposed cuts to staff numbers. As a student it is hard to hear what is going on, with a primary source of information being rumors, whispers, and converstaions with faculty, so I am making these requests to try to see what the facts say.
From: Juliet Hamill
University of Canterbury
Please find our response to this request attached.
show quoted sections
Things to do with this request
- Add an annotation (to help the requester or others)
- Download a zip file of all correspondence