23 September 2022
Harold [FYI request #20096 email]
Tēnā koe Harold
Thank you for your email of 1 August 2022 which was transferred to my office on 29 August 2022
in which you request the following under the Official Information Act 1982 (OIA):
I would like to make a request for copies of the following briefings received by the minister
in his role as Minister for Disarmament and Arms Control:
1) 7/12/2020 Approval for Foreign Military Aircraft to Land in New Zealand in 2021
4) 12/02/2021 Saudi Arabia: Export of Controlled Items
5) 16/02/2021 Proposed overflight by US Air Force B-52 aircraft
6) 16/02/2021 The Process for Considering Requests for Entry of Foreign Warships into
New Zealand Internal Waters
7) 15/03/2021 Air New Zealand: Control and Export Status of US Navy Engines
8) 21/06/2021 Operation Burnham: National Detention Policy
15) Final y, in response to Written Parliamentary Question 43291 (2021): “What reports,
briefings, memos, aides-memoire, notes or written advice, if any, has the Minister
received about nuclear-armed submarines?” The minister replied “None to date, but I
understand briefing is under preparation” (as at 23 September 2021). I would like to
request a copy of the briefing referred to here.
This letter is to advise that the timeframe for responding to your request is being extended by
10 working days, to 11 October 2022. This is because consultations necessary to make a decision
on your request are such that a proper response cannot reasonably be made within the original
time frame (section 15A(1)(b) of the OIA refers).
However, if this process is completed before 11 October 2022, the response will be sent to you
as soon as possible.
You have the right to seek an investigation and review by the Ombudsman of this decision by
or freephone 0800 802 602.
Hon Nanaia Mahuta Minita Take Aorere / Minister of Foreign Affairs