3 September 2021
[FYI request #16180 email]
Tēnā koe Mr Hirsche
Thank you for your email of 6 August 2021 to the Ministry of Education requesting the following
1. I understand that a review of ITE currently underway. I would like to understand the
scope and purpose of that review. Do you have a workplan or similar document that
sets out the aim, scope, purpose and goals of this review and also the timelines for its
2. I assume that this work is being carried out with the teaching council. I would like to
see anything you have around a joint scope of work and shared responsibilities
3. I would also like to see all recent correspondence between the Minister and Ministry
on ITE. I could not see anything in your website under recent advice.
Your request has been considered under the Official Information Act 1982 (the Act).
In March 2021 Cabinet agreed to an Education Work Programme (EWP) 2021 for this term of
Government. Details of this work programme have been published and are available here:
This work programme includes “work to attract and develop a strong, culturally competent
education workforce that is capable, supported, valued and connected, including through
changes to improve Initial Teacher Education.”
The Ministry of Education and the Teaching Council are developing advice and options for
improving initial teacher education (ITE), as outlined above. This work is focused on three
• Ensuring appropriate content in ITE programmes;
• Strengthening the quality of practical learning and experience in ITE programmes and
during induction and mentoring into teaching; and
• Enabling more diverse pathways into teaching.
We have identified four documents within scope of your request. However, this work is
currently in the early stages of development and is stil under active consideration. At this time,
we are therefore withholding this information in full under the following sections of the Act:
• The information has been withheld in full under section 9(2)(f)(iv) of the Act to protect
the confidentiality of advice tendered by Ministers of the Crown and officials.
National Office, Mātauranga House, 33 Bowen Street, Wellington 6011
PO Box 1666, Wellington 6140. Phone: +64 4 463 8000 Fax: +64 4 463 8001
• The information has been withheld in full under section 9(2)(g)(i) of the Act to protect
the free and frank expression of opinions by, between or to Ministers of the Crown.
We have identified no public interest considerations sufficient to outweigh the need to withhold
this information at this time. However, it is the Ministry’s policy to proactively release advice to
Ministers on our website once decisions have been made.
Thank you again for your email. You have the right to ask an Ombudsman to review this
decision. You can do this by writing to [email address]
or Office of the
Ombudsman, PO Box 10152, Wellington 6143.
Nāku noa, nā
Dr Andrea Schöllmann
Education System Policy
- The request and due date
- Proposed response
- Public interest considerations