This is an HTML version of an attachment to the Official Information request 'DHB gender-affirming healthcare services'.

Southern District Health Board  
Dunedin Hospital 
201 Great King Street 
Private Bag 1921  
DUNEDIN 9054  
Chief Executive Officer 
Phone 03-476 9456 Fax 03-476 9450 
15 June 2018 
Gloria Fraser 
Email: [FYI request #7913 email] 
Dear Ms Fraser 
Official Information Act Request 
I refer to your Official Information Act request received on 25 May 2018 in which you specifically 
requested the following: 
1)  Could you please advise whether the following gender-affirming healthcare services are funded 
by the Southern District Health Board for transgender patients, and whether the services are 
currently available: - Hormone therapy - Mastectomy - Hysterectomy - Orchidectomy - Facial 
hair removal - Breast augmentation - Voice training.  

Gender- affirming services are not routinely funded, however funding is considered when a 
specialist  submits  a  funding  requests  for  a  specific  patient.  Southern  DHB  have  approved 
funding  for  individual  patients  for  the  following  procedures:    voice  training,  laparoscopic 
hysterectomy and oophorectomy.  
2)  Could you please provide information about the process of accessing those services that are 
available? a) Specifically, is an assessment by a mental health professional required in order to 
access gender-affirming healthcare services?  If so, which services? b) In the case of hormone 
therapy,  can  primary  health  providers  prescribe  hormones,  or  does  this  have  to  be  initially 
approved  by  an  endocrinologist?  c)  Is  any  period  of  real  life  experience  required  to  access 

Services are available according to the individuals mental health needs, which may include 
psychology, psychiatry inpatient admission, day programmes are therapeutic options, but 
access is not solely determined by diagnosis.  Not all patients treated for gender dysphoria 
remain in contact with mental health services, though they may remain in contact with non-
psychiatric  medical  professionals  if  they  wish  to continue  medical/surgical  treatments  for 
gender dysphoria. Some patients with gender dysphoria will not be in contact with either 
mental health services or with medical services.  
Patients referred to the endocrinology department for consideration of hormonal therapy 
must  have  been  formally  diagnosed  with  gender  dysphoria  by  an  appropriate  health 
professional.  In Dunedin this is usually performed by consultants with experience in gender 

dysphoria  in  the  psychiatry  service,  but  occasionally  by  a  suitably  experienced  clinical 
psychologist.  Primary  care  may  continue  hormonal  therapy  with  the  advice  of  an 
endocrinologist,  however,  almost  all  patients  with  gender  dysphoria  commence  their 
hormonal treatment under the supervision of an endocrinologist. Although there is no firm 
ruling on this matter it is generally accepted that patients should be living in the new gender 
for approximately 2 years before being considered for irreversible surgical intervention. 
3)  Finally, could you please advise what the process is if transgender patients require one of the 
above services, but the Southern District Health Board does not offer this service?  Does the 
Southern District Health Board currently fund patients to travel to other areas to access this 

Mental Health services would refer to the appropriate physical health services within the 
Southern District Health Board for any service outside of mental health.  The National Travel 
Assistance programme would be used if necessary. 
Psychiatric  services  and  endocrinological  services  have  always  been  available  for  patients 
with gender dysphoria.  Surgery has not always been available but previously was performed 
in  Christchurch  upon  referral.    This  is  now  no  longer  available.    Some  limited  surgical 
interventions  have  recently  become  available  in  Dunedin  –  e.g.  orchidectomy,  breast 
reduction surgery. 
You have the right to seek an investigation and review of our decision by the Ombudsman.  The 
Ombudsman's Office can be contacted on 0800 802 602 or on-line at   
Yours sincerely 
Chris Fleming 
Chief Executive Officer