Planning and Funding
P O Box 1600,
Telephone: 0064 3 364 4130
Fax: 0064 3 364 4165
20 June 2016
Tom Sellers Email: [FYI request #4144 email];
Dear Tom Re: Official Information Act Request CDHB 9397
We refer to your email dated 15 June 2016 requesting the following information under the Official
Information Act. This was clarified by you on 17 June 2016 as CORS being the Christchurch Opioid
Recovery Service. (1) If CORS case mangers have access to patient files requested, are they required to release such
information if so requested by the patient to which the files pertain?
(2) If CORS are not in direct possession of a patients case files, are they required to obtain such
information and present it to patients?
(3) If case managers are not allowed to release patient files, are managers of CORS allowed to
release such information to patients to which the files pertain?
(4) What is the procedure for the release of patient files by CORS to patients?
(5) Is CORS governed by the Health Information Privacy Code 1994? I refer you specifically to rule 6
(6) If CORS is not governed by the Health Information Privacy Code 1994, please direct me to the
relevant documents that explains CORS policy towards the release of patient information.
As required under the Official Information Act (1982), the Canterbury District Health Board will
respond to your request within 20 working days. You should receive a response on or before 15 July
If a large amount of information has been requested or if the Canterbury District Health Board needs
to consult in order to make a decision, we may need to extend this date (this is provided for in
section 15A of the Act). We will advise you if such an extension is necessary.