This is an HTML version of an attachment to the Official Information request 'Clients/Claimants requirement to Comply with Current Health and Safety Law in Workplace whilst in ACC 'Care"'.

26 May 2016 
Anthony Jordan 
[FYI request #3949 email] 
Dear Mr Jordan 
Official Information Act Request 
Thank you for your email of 1 May 2016. 
Your request 
You asked for the following under the Official information Act 1982 (the Act): 
“Official Information Act request – 
requirement to Comply with Current Health and Safety Law in 
Workplace whilst in ACC ‘Care” 

Please provide information which covers the Corporation and 
Claimants whilst placements are active in any Workplace or 
Vocational environment (ie: workplace/environment for the 
purpose of imminent reintegration to workforce)” 

Clarification of request 
Thank you also for your response to ACC’s request to clarify your request which we 
received on 9 May 2016. In this response you asked for the following: 
“1/ Is the Corporation obliged to take into consideration current 
Health and Safety laws when entering claimants into any 
workplace rehab whether vocational, casual, Part time etc. 

In layman's words...Provide information whereby the  ACC is 
liable for prosecution  if a claimant is proven to have caused 
injury (due to any injury pre-existing injuries) to himself or 
others in a workplace whilst in the care of ACC approved 
providers, Funded specialists  or any ACC directive itself” 

Our response 
Responding to your request would require that ACC form a legal opinion. We note a 
distinction under the Act exists between a request for information already known to 
and held by an agency (official information); and a request to an agency to form an 

opinion or provide an explanation or comment and thus create new information to 
answer the request (not official information).  
Accordingly, we will not be providing you with an opinion on the matters you have 
Queries or concerns 
If you have any questions, ACC will be happy to work with you to answer these. You 
can contact us at [email address]  or in writing to Government 
Services, PO Box 242, Wellington 6140.  

You have the right to complain to the Office of the Ombudsman about our 
decision.  You can call them on 0800 802 602 between 9am and 5pm on weekdays, 
or write to The Office of the Ombudsman, PO Box 10152, Wellington 6143
Yours sincerely  
Government Services