This is an HTML version of an attachment to the Official Information request 'Manner of making an ACC claim'.

4 February 2016  
Lee M  
[FYI request #3530 email]   
Dear Lee M 
Official Information Act Requests 
Thank  you  for  your  Official  Information  Act  1982  (OIA)  request  of  6  January  2016  asking 
questions about section 52 of the Accident Compensation Act 2001 (AC Act):  
Section  52(1)  of  the  AC  Act  states  that  a  person  must  lodge  a  claim  "in  a  manner 
specified  by  the  Corporation".    Under  the  OIA  can  you  please  advise  me  what  is  the 
manner specified by the ACC, whether or not the manner is specified in any legislation, 
and if so what legislation specifies the manner. 

Section 52 (3) of the AC Act states that the ACC "may impose reasonable requirements 
on  the  person,  such  as,  for  example,  requiring  the  person  to  lodge  a  written  claim."  
Under  the  OIA  can  you  please  advise  me  what  requirements  the  ACC  impose  on 
persons  lodging  ACC  claims,  whether  or  not  the  requirements  are  specified  in  any 
legislation, and if so what legislation specifies the requirements. 

ACC’s response to your questions is set out below: 
The wording of section 52 enables ACC to specify the manner of claim lodgement and 
impose  reasonable  requirements  outside  of  legislation.    Therefore  none  of  these 
specifications are contained in legislation or regulations.  
The  manner  specified  by  ACC  for  claim  lodgement  is  that  claims  are  submitted  via  an 
approved ACC45 claim lodgement form.  
The reasonable requirements include the requirement to lodge a written claim (compared 
to a verbal claim), and provide information that completes the fields on the claim form.  
This includes verifiers such as name, date of birth, and contact details, and information 
relating to the injury being claimed for.  
ACC is happy to answer your questions 
If  you  have  any  questions  about  the  information  provided,  ACC  will  be  happy  to  work  with 
you to answer these.  You can contact us at [email address] or in writing to 
Government Services, PO Box 242, Wel ington 6140.  
You  have the  right to complain to the Office of the  Ombudsman  about  our  response.    You 
can call them on 0800 802 602 between 9am and 5pm on weekdays, or write to The Office of 
the Ombudsman, PO Box 10152, Wel ington 6143. 
Yours sincerely 
Government Services 
Government Services