This is an HTML version of an attachment to the Official Information request 'How many employees currently have a qualification in gender studies.'.

19 May 2023 
Kent H 
Tēnā koe Kent H 
On  29  April  2023,  you  emailed  the  Ministry  of  Social  Development  (the 
Ministry)  requesting,  under  the  Official  Information  Act  1982  (the  Act),  the 
following information: 
How many employees currently have a qualification in gender studies? 
It is optional for employees to disclose their educational qualifications, and this 
information is held in individual employee profiles. To retrieve this information, 
Ministry staff would be required to manually go into each employee profile to 
see if they have listed an educational qualification in gender studies. 
I  am  therefore  refusing  your  request  under section  18(f)  of  the  Act,  on  the 
basis it would require substantial manual collation to find the information in 
scope. The greater public interest is in the effective and efficient administration 
of the public service. 
I  have  considered  whether  the  Ministry  would  be  able  to  respond  to  your 
request given extra time, or the ability to charge for the information requested.  
I  have  concluded  that,  in  either  case,  the  Ministry’s  ability  to  undertake  its 
work would still be prejudiced. 
The principles and purposes of the Official Information Act 1982 under which 
you made your request are: 
•  to create greater openness and transparency about the plans, work and 
activities of the Government,  
•  to  increase  the  ability  of  the  public  to  participate  in  the  making  and 
administration of our laws and policies and  
•  to lead to greater accountability in the conduct of public affairs.   
This Ministry fully supports those principles and purposes.  
If  you  wish  to  discuss  this  response  with  us,  please  feel  free  to  contact 
[MSD request email]. 

If  you  are  not  satisfied  with  this  response  regarding  employees  with  a 
qualification in gender studies, you have the right to seek an investigation and 
review  by  the  Ombudsman.  Information  about  how  to  make  a  complaint  is 
available at or 0800 802 602.  
Ngā mihi nui 
Sarah Quigan 
Official Information Team 

Page 2 of 2