Fire and Emergency New Zealand
Spark Central , Level 7
42-52 Willis Street
Phone +64 4 496 3600
16 January 2023
By email: [FYI request #21543 email]
Tēnā koe Caleb Information Request
– Southland Rural Fire Centre
I refer to your official information request dated 10 January 2023 asking for the following
information about the Southland Rural Fire Center.
• What services does the Southland Rural Fire Center provide?
• What is the area of coverage for the Southland Rural Fire Center?
• How can members of the public get in touch with the Southland Rural Fire Center (e.g.
contact information, social media accounts)?
• Are there any current or upcoming events or initiatives related to the Southland Rural Fire
Center that I can be made aware of?
• Can you provide information about the types of trucks and equipment that the Southland
Rural Fire Center has available for use?
• How often does the Southland Rural Fire Center get called out to jobs?
• Can you provide information about the calls that the Southland Rural Fire Center attended
in 2022, including the nature of the call (e.g. grass fire, structure fire) and the location of
• How can members of the public sign up to volunteer with the Southland Rural Fire Center?
What is the process for becoming a volunteer, and what roles and responsibilities are
available for volunteers?
In accordance with the provisions of the Official Information Act 1982 (OIA), please find below a
response to your request.
Since the establishment of Fire and Emergency New Zealand in 2017, the Southern Rural Fire
Centre no longer operates in the way that it was used previously. It is now known as the Kingswell
Depot (Rural) and is used as a storage unit for a small number of resources and equipment.
Because of this, we are unable to answer the questions you have. Therefore, your request is
declined in full at this time under section 18(e) of the OIA, as the information does not exist.
You have the right to seek an investigation and review by the Ombudsman of this decision.
Information about how to make a complaint is available at www.ombudsman.parliament.nz
freephone 0800 802 602. Note also that this response (with your personal details removed) may be published on the Fire and
Nāku noa nā
Manager, Information Requests