File ref: IRC-3400
5 July 2022
[FYI request #19466 email]
Kia Ora Chuck,
Parking Figures and Revenue
Thank you for your request made under the Local Government Official Information and Meetings
Act 1987 (the Act), received on 25 May 2022. You requested the fol owing information:
• Total car parks available in 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021 and 2022
• Total revenue associated with those car parks in those same years
• Total annual car park compliance costs for those same years
Wellington City Council has granted
your request for information.
Total car parks available in 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021 and 2022
TOTAL SENSORED CAR PARKS (CBD
TOTAL CAR PARKS (CBD OFF-
• The above data includes the number of Council’s on-street CBD sensor car parks and the
number of Council’s off-street CBD car parking areas.
• Unfortunately, our Transport team are unable to provide a historical count of parking spaces
prior to 2017, however we can provide the number of parking spaces from 2017 onwards.
Therefore, we are we are refusing your request under section 17(g) of the act as the
information is not held. Further to this, the count for residential parks is not possible as they
cover a vast area, some are unmarked and varies in sizes. The data we hold is not detailed
enough to provide you with more information.
• Please note that the figures for on-street CBD sensor car parks include car parks that are
temporarily out of use due to such reasons as constructions work etc.
• The off-street parking spaces includes parking areas in the CBD such as Clifton Car Park,
Michael Fowler Centre, Civic Square car park, Toi Poneke Art Centre and the Waterfront
• Please note the fluctuation in the number or off-streetcar park is due to the following:
o Michael Fowler Centre car park closed in July 2018, as such these car parks have not
been included in this count from 2019 onwards.
o Civic Square car park closed in March 2019, as such these car parks have not been
included in this count from 2020 onwards.
o Waterfront parking was previously managed by Wilsons until July 2021 where this
was brought back to the Council, these figures have been included for the 2021- year
o Clifton Carpark and Toi Poneke are included in every year count from 2017-2021
Total revenue associated with those car parks in those same years and total annual car park
compliance costs for those same years
Parking Revenue and
2015/16 2016/17 2017/18 2018/19 2019/20 2020/21 (unaudited)
Parking Fees and Permits
(18,597) (18,924) (20,100) (21,724) (19,918) (22,855)
Parking Fines and Penalties
(24,967) (25,542) (26,317) (28,179) (26,232) (29,992)
• We have interpreted ‘annual car park compliance costs’ as operational costs, if this is not
the case, please do not hesitate to let us know.
• The 21/22 figures are unaudited and only represent 11 months through to May 2022.
Right of review
If you are not satisfied with the Council’s response, you may request the Office of the Ombudsman
to investigate the Council’s decision. Further information is available on the Ombudsman website,
Please note, we may proactively release our response to your request with your personal
Thank you again for your request, if you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.
Wellington City Council | 2 of 2