This is an HTML version of an attachment to the Official Information request 'Exited ACC long term claimants in emergency housing'.

11 February 2022 
Brendon Mills 
[FYI request #18081 email] 
Tēnā koe Brendon Mills 
On  3  January  2022,  you  emailed  the  Ministry  of  Social  Development  (the 
Ministry)  requesting,  under  the  Official  Information  Act  1982  (the  Act),  the 
following information: 
•  Of the people who you have placed in emergency housing, I would like 
to know how many have been former ACC long term claimants that have 
been exited from ACC cover. 

I  am  unable  to  provide  you  with  this  information  as  it  is  held  in  notes  on 
individual case files. In order to provide you with this information, Ministry staff 
would  have  to  manually  review  thousands  of  files.  As  such,  I  refuse  your 
request under section 18(f) of the Official Information Act. The greater public 
interest is in the effective and efficient administration of the public service. 
I  have  considered  whether  the  Ministry  would  be  able  to  respond  to  your 
request given extra time, or the ability to charge for the information requested.  
I  have  concluded  that,  in  either  case,  the  Ministry’s  ability  to  undertake  its 
work would still be prejudiced. 
The principles and purposes of the Official Information Act 1982 under which 
you made your request are: 
•  to create greater openness and transparency about the plans, work and 
activities of the Government,  
•  to  increase  the  ability  of  the  public  to  participate  in  the  making  and 
administration of our laws and policies and  
•  to lead to greater accountability in the conduct of public affairs.   
This Ministry fully supports those principles and purposes.  
If  you  wish  to  discuss  this  response  with  us,  please  feel  free  to  contact 
[MSD request email]. 

If  you  are  not  satisfied  with  this  response,  you  have  the  right  to  seek  an 
investigation and review by the Ombudsman. Information about how to make 
a complaint is available at or 0800 802 602.  
Ngā mihi nui  
Magnus O’Neill 
General Manager 
Ministerial and Executive Services 

Page 2 of 2