80 The Terrace
PO Box 2133
Phone +64 4 496 3600
17 November 2020
By email: [FYI request #14005 email]
Dear H Barry Information Request – Alternative Personal Protective Equipment
I refer to your official information request dated 19 October 2020 asking the following questions
relating to Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
1) Who does Fire and Emergency have supply agreements with for the supply of PPE?
How long have these agreements been in place?
2) How much has Fire and Emergency spent on PPE over the last two years, by category
3) Over the last two years, how many career fire fighters have requested or required
to the standard issue supplied by Fire and Emergency?
4) Over the last two years, how many volunteer fire fighters have requested or required
alternative PPE to the standard issue supplied by Fire and Emergency?
5) Of the requests in 3) and 4) above, how many have been approved and alternative PPE
The Official Information Act 1982 (OIA) requires that we advise you of our decision on your request
no later than 20 working days after the date received. Unfortunately, it will not be possible to meet
that time limit. We are therefore writing to notify you of an extension of the time to make our
decision on the rest of your request to 22 December 2020.
Your request necessitates a search through a large quantity of information and meeting the
original time limit would unreasonably interfere with our operations. Furthermore, consultations
are necessary to make a decision on your request are such that a proper response cannot
reasonably be made within the original time limit. We will respond to your request at the earliest
You have the right to seek an investigation and review by the Ombudsman of this decision.
Information about how to make a complaint is available at www.ombudsman.parliament.nz
freephone 0800 802 602.
Chief Advisor, Deputy Chief Executive, Office of the Chief Executive