This is an HTML version of an attachment to the Official Information request 'How is the Council using its rights under the Public Health Act to inspect rental housing properties?'.

Aaron Packard
Renters United Organiser
[FYI request #13808 email]
Dear Aaron,
Local Government Official Information Meetings Act (LGOIMA) Request: Inspection of
Rental Housing Properties
Thank you for your correspondence dated 16 September 2020 in relation to the Inspection of
Rental Housing Properties.
Please find the CODC response to the information request below:
1. In the past five years, how many times has the Council used their rights under the Public
Health Act to inspect rental housing properties?
The Council has not used or needed to use their rights under the Public Health Act to
inspect rental housing properties in the past five years.
2. In the past five years, how many times has the Council exercised its powers to issue a
repair or closure notice to landlords whose properties do not meet the Housing
Improvement Regulations?
The Council has not exercised or needed to exercise its powers to issue a repair or
closure notice to landlords whose properties do not meet the Housing Improvement
Regulations in the past five years.
3. How do you identify which rental housing properties to inspect under the Public Health
Any properties that are required to be inspected under the Public Health Act are identified
through complaints.
4. What is the process for tenants to request the Council inspect their rental housing
property under the Public Health Act and provide a written report on its condition?
A tenant could request the Council to inspect their rental housing property in person at
any of our service centres (Alexandra, Cromwell, Roxburgh or Ranfurly) or call (03) 440
0056 or email: [Central Otago District Council request email]

5. What information is available on your website or in your publications on rental housing
inspections provided by the Council?
The Council’s dangerous and insanitary buildings policy and associated Ministry’s
information can be found on the councils website:
6. What is your process for engaging with the Tenancy Tribunal to provide reports on the
rental housing inspections you conduct?
If there was a request from the Tenancy Tribunal to provide a report following a rental
housing inspection, the Central Otago District Council would work with the tribunal to
facilitate this request.
I trust the information provided is sufficient.
Yours sincerely
Lee Webster
Regulatory Services Manager
Should you disagree with this outcome you have the right to seek an investigation and review
by the Ombudsman of this decision. Information about how to make a complaint is available at or freephone 0800 802 602.