[IN CONFIDENCE RELEASE EXTERNAL]
20 October 2020
[FYI request #13806 email]
Dear Mr Bruce
Thank you for your further email of 8 October 2020 regarding the response to your request
made under the Official Information Act 1982 (OIA).
I can confirm an error occurred in the calculation of the data provided to you on 8 October
2020. I apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused.
The table below provides the updated percentage of KiwiSaver members on each contribution
rate for the 2019-20 and previous four financial years.
1. Data includes KiwiSaver members who are on PAYE. It excludes members who file IR3
tax returns for non-PAYE sources of income.
2. Data includes KiwiSaver members who made at least one contribution in a financial
3. Data includes 'Active' or 'Provisional' members in a financial year. This includes
KiwiSaver members who are active for part of the year.
4. Inland Revenue does not hold information about individuals’ contribution rates. The
contribution rate is derived using the formula: KiwiSaver Contribution/Gross Earnings.
5. The contribution rates of 6% and 10% were introduced on 1 April 2019.
6. There are some instances where employees have allowances that are not subject to
KiwiSaver. When compared to gross income the rate will not be one of the standard
7. Calculations for each contribution rate were matched exactly to the rate categories. If
the calculated amount did not equal the rate category, it was included under the 'other'
Geoff Wintle Segment Management Lead
Customer and Compliance Services Individuals