This is an HTML version of an attachment to the Official Information request 'How is the Council using its rights under the Public Health Act to inspect rental housing properties?'.

05 October 2020 
Aaron Packard 
Via email: [FYI request #13686 email] 
Dear Aaron 
Official Information Request – Public Health Act 
I refer to your official information request received by Western Bay of Plenty District Council 
(Council) on 6 September 2020, where you request information regarding how the Council is 
using its rights under the Public Health Act to inspect rental housing properties. 
The answers to your questions are set out below: 
1.  In the past five years, how many times has the Council used their rights 
under the Public Health Act to inspect rental housing properties? 
2.  In the past five years, how many times has the Council exercised its powers 
to issue a repair or closure notice to landlords whose properties do not meet 
the Housing Improvement Regulations? 
Council has not exercised the abovementioned powers in the last 5 years.  
3.  How do you identify which rental housing properties to inspect under the 
Public Health Act? 
When Council receives complaints about the properties.  
4.  What is the process for tenants to request the Council inspect their rental 
housing property under the Public Health Act and provide a written report 
on its condition? 
Members of the public can contact the Council via our website or free phone number 
to and make a “service request” to alert us of a potential breach.  Council  wil  then 
arrange a suitable day for an inspection and provide a report on the findings. A charge 
wil  be issued for this service of $170 per hour. 
5.  What information is available on your website or in your publications on 
rental housing inspections provided by the Council? 
There is no information on our website or in publications about rental property 

6.  What is your process for engaging with the Tenancy Tribunal to provide 
reports on the rental housing inspections you conduct? 
a)  A service request is made by the complainant to Council to inspect a particular 
rental property. 
b)  Council wil  provide a report based on the inspection of the property. 
c)  The tenant wil  receive a copy of the inspection report. 
d)  If necessary, Council wil  receive a request from the Tenancy Tribunal to attend a 
hearing as a professional witness. 
Please direct any further enquiries to Greer Golding, Team Leader – Compliance 
([email address]). 
Yours faithful y 
Rachael Davie 
Group Manager Policy Planning & Regulatory Services