12 May 2020
Our Reference: IR-01-20-5732
Email: [FYI request #12303 email]
I am writing in response to the email you submitted 24 February 2020. Your request has
been considered pursuant to the Official Information Act 1982. Specifically you requested:
(1) The number of Taser devices purchased between 01 January 2019 and 31
December 2019; and
(2) The number of Taser accessories (including holsters) purchased between 01
January 2019 and 31 December 2019; and
(3) The current Taser models used by Police; and
(4) Have the Police considered/considering purchasing newer 'Taser 7' model
To answer your questions:
1. The number of Taser devices purchased between 01 January 2019 and 31
December 2019 is 995.
2. With every Taser that is purchased, a bundle of accessories is provided.
3. The current Taser model used by Police is the X2.
4. Police are constantly looking at the latest technology available on a regular basis
to ensure they are up to date.
I trust you are satisfied with my response to your request. If not, you have a right under
section 28(3) of the Official Information Act 1982 to ask the Office of the Ombudsman to
seek an investigation and review of my decision.
For your information, Police has developed a process for proactive release of information,
so the response to your request may be publicly released on the New Zealand Police
Superintendent Andrew Sissons National Manager: Response & Operations
Police National Headquarters
180 Molesworth Street. PO Box 3017, Wellington 6140, New Zealand.
Telephone: 04 474 9499. Fax: 04 498 7400. www.police.govt.nz