This is an HTML version of an attachment to the Official Information request 'Vehicle Licensing Infringements'.

11 February 2020 
[FYI request #11974 email]  
REF: OIA-6260 
Dear Joe 
Request made under the Official Information Act 1982 
Thank  you  for  your  email  of  3  January  2020  requesting  information  about  the  payment  of 
outstanding motor vehicle licence fees, and the lawfulness of an infringement notice issued in 
relation to a motor vehicle following the expiry of its licence.  
Your request has been considered under the provisions of the Official Information Act 1982 
(the Act). 
There is no document held by Waka Kotahi, the New Zealand Transport Agency that contains 
the information you have requested. Accordingly, your request has been refused under section 
18(e) of the Act as the document alleged to contain the information requested does not exist 
or, despite reasonable efforts to locate it, cannot be found. 
Offences  relating  to  the  operation  of  an  unlicensed  vehicle  are  prescribed  in  law  and  are 
committed  when  a  vehicle  that  is  required  to  be  continuously  licensed  is  operated  in 
contravention to that requirement. The subsequent licensing and payment of the outstanding 
licence  fees  does  not  void  an  infringement  notice  that  has  issued  in  the  circumstances 
described above. 
In the event that a vehicle which has remained unlicensed for a period of more than 12 months 
has its registration cancelled, the licence fees that would otherwise have been payable during 
that 12-month period remain due. The payment of those outstanding fees does not, however, 
have the effect of retrospectively licensing the vehicle for that period. Rather, it is the payment 
of fees in accordance with section 242(2)(b) of the Land Transport Act 1998, which provides 
that the prescribed fees and accident insurance levies must be paid for the time that the motor 
vehicle is required to be licensed, whether or not the vehicle is actually licensed at the time. 
In the event you have received an infringement notice related to the operation of an unlicensed 
motor  vehicle  that  you  wish  to  challenge,  you  can  do  so  with  the  agency  that  issued  the 
infringement. That agency will be able to advise of you of any right of appeal you may have. 
Under section 28 of the Act, you have the right to ask the Ombudsman to review my decision 
to refuse your request. You can contact the Office of the Ombudsman by phone on 0800 802 
602 or through its website at  

If you would like to discuss this reply with  the Transport Agency, please contact Matt Rush, 
Customer Advisor - Ministerials, by email to [email address]  or by phone on 0800 
108 809. 
Yours sincerely 
Michael Aitken 
Senior Manager Operational Policy, Planning & Intelligence