50 Victoria Street
Private Bag 6995
64 4 894 5400
64 4 894 6100
4 December 2019
[FYI request #11736 email]
Request made under the Official Information Act 1982
Thank you for your request to the NZ Transport Agency on 25 November 2019 requesting the
following information under the Official Act 1982 (the Act):
Please provide details requested below for, I believe, the last 20 road deaths and 92 accidents
that have happened on SH 6 between Blenheim and Nelson over the past two decades.
Firstly, a breakdown on the number for deaths by year (and month too if possible) and then
separately the accidents that were reported (also by year and month).
Secondly, a description of the place along SH6 where each individual death occurred plus the
same for each reported accident. If it is easier, or provides better clarity, a map of the highway
with points indicated on it with numbers of deaths and also accident numbers would be
The data you requested is being provided in the attached spreadsheet (OIA-6149.xlsx).
It is important to note the following in relation to the data provided. This information is also provided in
the attached spreadsheet:
• This data is provided from the road traffic crash database; Crash Analysis System (CAS)
• The Transport Agency maintains the Crash Analysis System which is updated once a Traffic
Crash Report (TCR) is received from the NZ Police sometime after the crash.
• Data is for all crashes for the years 1999 to 2018 as recorded in CAS to date - 27/11/2019.
• Data is limited to crashes on SH 6 between Blenheim (just west of Westwood Avenue
roundabout) and Nelson (Trafalgar Street roundabout).
• A crash, to be recorded in CAS has to have occurred on a road. The CAS definition of a road
is any street, motorway or beach, or a place to which the public have access with a motor
vehicle, whether as of right or not e.g. a public car park.
• Due to the police reporting time frame and subsequent data processing there is a lag from the
time of a crash to full and correct crash records within CAS.
• Due to the nature of non-fatal crashes it is believed that these are under-reported, with the
level of under-reporting decreasing with the severity of the crash.
For future queries of this nature, please first head to the Transport Agency Open Data Portal
(https://opendata-nzta.opendata.arcgis.com/). Here you can view, interrogate, and download the
Transport Agency data that has been made publicly available.
You can find our crash data in our CAS (Crash Analysis System) interactive map
(https://maphub.nzta.govt.nz/cas/), or through our CAS data page (https://opendata-
User guides (https://opendata-nzta.opendata.arcgis.com/pages/how-to-use-the-open-data-portal) for
the agency’s open data portal are available if you require them.
If you would like to discuss this reply with the Transport Agency, please contact Kerry Greig, Manager,
Data Services, by email to [email address]
or by phone on (04) 894 5251.
Senior Manager, Research & Analytics