18 November 2019
Karl Bloxham [FYI request #11496 email]
Your Official Information Act request, reference: GOV-002226
Thank you for your email of 18 October 2019, asking for the following information under the Official
Information Act 1982 (the Act): Please provide the guidelines;
1. When ACC receives communication from a party, seeking ACC to make a decision, which gives
2. When ACC receives communication from a party, seeking ACC to reconsider a decision which has
3. When ACC receives a AC33 Review Application.
4. When ACC receives a AC33 Review Application out of time.
5. When ACC receives a AC33 Review Application which is unclear what decision it relates too.
6. The decision to decline the AC33 review application and providing a decision to the applicant.
7. When ACC arrange for a review hearing, including any instruction the maybe included.
8. Copy of the ACC6239 currently used and the previous version.
9. Where ACC delegate to the reviewer there jurisdictional authority insofar as the administration
of the review application.
Q1. Review rights guidelines
Under Section 63 of the Accident Compensation Act 2001, ACC must tell a claimant they have the right
to apply for a review of any decision made on their claim. The notice must be given in writing, and
contain the reasons for the decision, the timeframes involved and when applications can be made
outside that time.
ACC provides this information in each decision letter it sends.
Q2 – Q7. Review process
Each of these questions relate to the review process. The following documents are which sets out ACC’s
• Manage customer reviews – Document 1
• Receive, log and allocate review application – Document 2
• Accept or decline late review application – Document 3
• Reviewing an ACC decision – Document 4
• Current copy of ACC6239 – Document 5
Q5. Review Application is unclear
If the review application form is unclear what decision the client wants to review, it is returned to the
customer asking for clarification. This information is found in Document 2: 3.0 Check the Review
Application. Q7. Arranging a review hearing
Under the heading ‘Case Conferences’ in Document 4 – Reviewing an ACC decision, it explains that if we
are unable to agree on a resolution, the reviewer will arrange a review hearing at a time that suits
everyone. A review hearing date must be agreed within three months of receiving the application.
Q8. ACC6239 form - Document 5
We have enclosed a copy of the ACC6239 form – Document 5. The previous version was sent to you on
3 December 2018, following your request of 22 November 2018. Q9. ACC delegation to Reviewers – Document 6
Attached is a copy of ACC’s standard jurisdictional authority template letter of engagement for
Reviewers. Who to contact
If you have any questions, you can email me at [email address].
Sasha Wood Acting Manager Official Information Act Services
Government Engagement & Support
Accident Compensation Corporation
Page 2 of 2